Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to green mtn today, I was the only one on the lake. Ice was around 6''. I caught around 20 macs ranging from 15-20''in size,it was great! I was using white tube jigs and a red and white crocadile spoon both tipped with sucker meat. I was fishing out from where they put the tent for the tourney in 30-50 fow.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Rad,
It's good to hear that you had a great day. Just curious, what area of the lake was the tent for the tourney located at? I've been curious about fishing Green Mountain and would appreciate any pointers as far as location, depths and presentations. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weather was great. I didn't even have to put on my heavy coat. fishin bud, I was fishing at the closest turnoff before the dam. It is the most popular spot to get to because you have easy access to the lake. As far as depth and presentation, for lake trout my best luck is always in 30-60 fow. Just fish a foot or two off the bottom and sometimes let your jig bouce off the bottom.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Rad, just curious, was the ice at Green Mountain a solid 6" all around and out to where you fished? Also, was the tent for the upcoming tourney already out on the ice or were you just fishing around where it usually is located.
The reason that I ask all of the above is that I called the Fishing Hole in Kremling and they indicated that they'd wait a week or so before venturing out onto Green Mountain Reservoir and Granby, as they are the last lakess to freeze up due to their size. They indicated that the only really safe ice that they knew of was on Lake John and the Delaney Butte Lakes. Also, they stated that Wolford has a good 6" of ice in the bays but indicated that caution (as always) should be used when venturing out onto the main lake.
Unless I hear a confidence booster from you or others, I'll probably stick to 11 mile, Wolford or Chambers, for the next few weeks.
Disclaimer, (I grew up in ND/MN and am used to fishing on several feet of ice, not mere inches, :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was still scary, but by this weekend im sure the ice will be about 10'' thick. FishinBud if you are nervous about going out just give it a couple of weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts