Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I’ve been reading everyone’s posts for a while now and thought that it was time for me to join in on the fun. I do a fair amount of fishing and I can contribute to the forum fishing reports, mainly on the western slope as I live in Eagle. Ok, so here is my first report for Green Mountain Res. For May 14: On the water from 8:30-2:30, Jigged with tubes and sucker meat and boated 20 Mac’s between 16 & 23”. For May 21: On the water from 8:30-3:30, put out the downrigger (flat fish & sucker meat) at 35’, lead line at 25’ for Salmon and a line out for trout. Trolled for about 1 hour and only got 2 hit’s on the lead line, probably a Kok. So, I went back to the sure bet (jig), and boated 12 Mac’s, again in the 16-21” range. I did have a very nice Mac on, and the fight was going great until I decided to adjust my drag, and in doing so let the line slack and that was the end of that. I know better, and my wife gave me a speech on how I would have given her the 3rd degree if she let the line slack on a good fish like that. All in all, the fishing still seems good for Mac’s at the moment, although it was better a few weeks ago. I did speak with a guy trolling for Salmon and he had 5 in the boat, so the Salmon are hitting as well. The boat ramp is usable and shore launching should be done with care. I watched a guy get stuck and it took two trucks to pull him out. It was very entertaining to watch to say the least. Not sure if I'm posting pic's correctly, but the link below get's you to the pic.

See ya on the water,

Adam D

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Nice fishin'-hey you know I could catch more fish if I had 3 hands also! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that fish just didn't want to stay in my hands for the pic, and I did not want to hold him too tightly, so my buddy had to block his early escape. That's why I have 3 hands.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
thats awesome you got into some fish , green mountain was awesome threw the ice , it looks like the fishing is still excellent , i might have to go troll for some kokanee there

·
Registered
598 Posts
Nice post, thanks for the info on Grn Mtn. I'm headed up to Taylor for a couple days and am fairly green when it comes to lakers, any tips? Welcome to the board.

J

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh, I love Taylor! I usually make a trip over Memorial Day weekend to Taylor and I usually do well. That lake is either on fire or it’s not…. Well, in my experiences. I’ve fished and boated over 50 fish in a day. Rainbows, Browns and Mac’s, and on the other hand, I’ve gone the same time of year (to the day), and only caught three fish. That’s fishin’ for ya. I’m not an expert by any means, but I would suggest that you get your bait to where the fish are by trolling deep (down riggin’ or lead line) or jiggin’ of the bottom with tube jigs and sucker meat. One tip I will give is that I now only use a small piece of meat on the hook. I found that I hook more fish using a smaller piece, so they can’t pull the meat off of the hook as easily. I just love to jig for these fish off the bottom. It’s a ton of fun having to play with a fish waiting for just the right moment to set the hook. This method doesn’t seem to be effective on the lunkers, but I have caught 26-28’ fish this way and that isn’t so bad. Another tip is to keep your jig vertical. Jigging on an angle doesn’t seem to work very well. I’ve caught an occasional Brown and Rainbow on the jig as well, so you never know what you can jig up. I would imagine the possibility of a Pike is also not out of the question, but like the Browns and Rainbows that would be a by-catch, and I would never target those fish using this method. This year, I’m taking the Memorial holiday to fish Powell as the fishing sounds like “it’s as good as it gets”. Don’t know if anyone is interested in Powell reports on this forum, but I will contribute a report if anyone is interested. Thanks for the warm welcome to the site and you will hear from me through out the summers fishing adventures. After the run off is over, I’ll be floating the Colorado, Eagle and Yampa rivers on the canoe, and I’ll report as well. Good fishin’ and we’ll see ya on the water!

Adam D

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks for the tips Adam. It's definitely appreciated. I have a few white glitter tubes about 5.5" with 1oz jigs hopefully these will work. I also have one down rigger that I run two lines from but I'm just not real sure how deep they’ll be this time of year. I started fishing for macs mid to late summer last year and they were very deep. I’m not sure if they’ll be shallower this time of year or if they always hang out real deep. If you or any one has any suggestions on tube color and size it would be appreciated and well tested. Thanks again for the tips and have fun on Powell. I’m looking forward to your report. My GF’s parents live in Moab only a couple hours away were planning on heading down to Powell in June while visiting her folks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look for the fish on your graph, anchor and go for it. I bet jiggin' a smoke or white tube in 35-50 feet will get you some hook up's this weekend without doubt. Good luck at Taylor this weekend and be sure to let us know what we missed or didn't miss. Stop by the marina and look at the pic's of the fish that where taken this season. It always amazes me to see those monsters come out of that lake. I have yet to catch a "monster", but I'm going to keep trying every spring. I've only been chasing Mac's for the past 3 years, and usualy only can fish 3 times for them before mid June when they seem to just about dissapear. I'll be persistant and hope one day it will pay off.

Adam D

ps: Does this board have spell check? Cuz my spelling sucks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts