Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, Been awhile since I've been on this here forum.

Thinking of fishing the Green below Flaming Gorge the first weekend in April as my fishing buddy from Idaho will be nearby. I have never fished this section of the river as I always thought it was drift boat territory. But I'm learning about a 7 mile trail from the dam down to Little Hole that parallels the river but I can't find out about river access. Can you wade in many parts of the river? Can the river be crossed via wading. Are the flows high or low that time of year?

Seems like every website I find for info is from a guide service and they all talk about their guides, the fish per miles, blah, blah, blah. Some of us can't spend money to get into fish on the weekend, ya know.

Anyone know where online I can discover information about wade fishing, camping nearby, and if April is a decent time to fish? Anyone willing to share their own personal knowledge would be awesome. I not looking for your favorite rock to cast from, just your overall opinion if a trip there from the front range in early April makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Google searches and you-tube are your friends. I dont think you can go worng in april for trout! Weather is the wild-card.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I fish this section for the past 10 years around the middle of April. I have hiked the trail, floated with a guide, and floated it in my one man pontoon. I can only speak of my experiences during the middle of April. Conditions may be different at the beginning of the month. The river is too deep to cross in the sections above Little Hole. You can cross in the Little Hole area if the flows are low enough and you are a skilled wader. Otherwise you will only be able to fish the trail side of the river. The trail is good and for the most part follows the river side for easy fishing access. You can hike up from Little Hole or down from the dam. As with most river, the further you hike the fewer anglers.
I go later in the month to catch the BWO hatches. Some years are better than others. Otherwise you could be fishing midges. If you have more specific questions, I can answer from my experiences. You can find a lot of info at this site: http://www.spinnerfall.com/Home
They have an archive of fishing reports over the years for the time you will be there. They also answer some of the questions about camping and other topics.

I hope this helps. Jerry

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Very wadable have fished it on foot and self floated fished it in inflatable canoes and was one of the best trips ever although its been a decade...gorgeous and full of fish...20,000 per mile since the "aquarium 7 mile stretch is aprimordial stew of insect life since the movable baffling that they use to remove water from the Gorge into the river is removed at the perfect temp to foster insect life in the river...nearby campgriunds are some of the nicest and well maintained campgrounds I have ever stayed in...if you tent camp or put up shade structures make sure you anchor well...have been awoke to severe high desert winds on several occasions...calm to hurricane in the blink of an eye...the only part I cant remember is if you could wade across which I believe is further complicated by sudden releases from the dam and rapidly rising water...I seem to remember alarms sounding around the dam to alert fishermen and floaters putting in for the 7 mile float...even if you couldnt wade across there were so many places to fish on the one side of the river...are you in town I think I have a local guidebook from back in the day on fishing it...I will check and get back to you...on foot or floating this place is so special and worth the price of admission...with 2 cars you could walk the entire 7 mile stretch in a day...I went in the heat summer and waded wet...the dam may publish schedules on water releases...take the dam tour you get to go down below and see what swims in that big lower pool...

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I would huck rapalas and heavy metal/ tubes for big trout down deep. If you're gonna go there why mess with midge-sipping stockers when the big browns are deep and hungry?

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
we have been going for may years in all parts of April. Sixteen years to be exact this year. The wade fishing is a no brainer. I wouldn't suggest ever wadding across the river. Way too deep. And no reason to. The time of year you are talking about would bring lots of Baetis hatches. And some awesome dry fly fishing. Walking the trail is a blast. You can catch a lot of fish just within the bank to maybe 20' out. Just look for sippers. As for camping. There are a couple pay camp grounds in the Little Hole, and Dripping Springs Area. There used to be a fair amount of primitive camping areas around, but I think they shut that down after the big fire a number of years back. If you go, don't think too much into it. Go with the basics like Parachute Adams, BWO's and RS-2's. Literally that's all you would need for a fabulous few days. Just make sure to have various sizes of each. The weather is VERY unpredictable. We have fished in just about every condition. I've come to like the snowy cloudy days the best. Seems the wind isn't as bad then. It seems that the bluebird days do come with wind. Lots at times. So come prepared for all types of weather. Carry a backpack if you plan on hiking for the entire day. Just be ready. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. Good luck and have a great time!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, great advice all around. I agree that weather is the wild card. Might need to see the forecast before I'm 100% in. Great to hear you can wade in plenty of spots as that is the plan. My buddy is coming down from Sun Valley, ID so he'll have the longer drive; gotta make sure it's worth it.

Zman; I'm in Golden and would love to borrow the guidebook if you come across it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just like BR1 says, I have encountered all types of weather. 60 degree blue bird days and 15 degree snow. The fishing has been very good nearly every day. One of the best mornings I ever had was after a big snow storm. The BWO's were coming off and the fish were gulping them down. It was cold and windy, but we found some areas around Little Hole that were protected. When I started out on the trail up stream from the parking lot, the trail had no tracks. This lasted about 3 hours. I was frozen by then, but happy.

I usually float with a couple of other guys, but one of the guys decided to wade fish below Little Hole. We did well in the canyon from the dam to Little Hole, but he hammered them. Mostly on dries. I like to float to get away from the crowds and fish the non trail side of the river.

I have Denny Breer's book on fishing the Green if you are interested. It is a little old, but it is good reading. Denny was a great guy. Gone way too soon.

The fishing should be very good. The weather is the only wild card.

Jerry

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would you guys walk up river from Little Hole or down river from the dam for an out and back hike and fish along the river?

I might consider the 7 mile on way hike with 2 trucks as well and for that I bet it would make more sense to walk down stream assuming it's downhill.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have done both, but never had the opportunity to walk the whole 7 miles in one day. The transportation never worked out. The advantage is to hit some areas twice in the same day. Once going out and once coming back to the car. The trail is pretty "flat" in most places. It does't seem easier going either way. You might check with the shops to see which part of the canyon is fishing well. I have had good success hiking both directions. That said, the parking lot at the dam requires a steep, but short hike to the river. If you start at the dam, you will need to hike this down and up. The parking lot at Little Hole is a short walk to the river.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Just looked at the stretch on Google Earth from 6/23/13. Easy path, nice holes. Musta been 100 drift boats and rafts in there. Place gets HAMMERED!

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Green is a big river and it gets a lot of boat traffic, but as with most places, the guides go down river to their favorite places. In addition, guides usually don't stop to wade fish. They stay in the boat. When I float, I have a few favorite places and usually stop and wade on the non-trail side. This reduces the encounters with the hiker/waders and most of the boats. Some times of the year are more crowded than others and weekends are hammered compared to midweeks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now for flies. I fish all of the tailwaters in this here state and the San Juan in NM, so I know how to be successful in all types of conditions in those waters. I assume the Green below the dam is not much different from our tailwaters; small ass midges, some SJ worms, maybe a size 20 PT or RS2, the usual. Any insider knowledge on the bugs to toss in early April? Hoping for dries, so i'll be tying size 20 Para Adams to go with my G.Gnats.

ASSUMING I go! Damn, sucks not being able to commit until I see the forecast for that area a week before. Thinking of renting a pop-up camper with heater so we can handle the cold nights and not freeze while consuming copious amounts of beer. A lot of snow would suck.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Now for flies. I fish all of the tailwaters in this here state and the San Juan in NM, so I know how to be successful in all types of conditions in those waters. I assume the Green below the dam is not much different from our tailwaters; small ass midges, some SJ worms, maybe a size 20 PT or RS2, the usual. Any insider knowledge on the bugs to toss in early April? Hoping for dries, so i'll be tying size 20 Para Adams to go with my G.Gnats.

ASSUMING I go! Damn, sucks not being able to commit until I see the forecast for that area a week before. Thinking of renting a pop-up camper with heater so we can handle the cold nights and not freeze while consuming copious amounts of beer. A lot of snow would suck.
it's best in the snow! go back to my 1st post. it sums up what bugs you will want!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Never leave home without your wooly buggers!

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
maybe a size 20 PT or RS2, the usual. Any insider knowledge on the bugs to toss in early April? Hoping for dries, so i'll be tying size 20 Para Adams to go with my G.Gnats.
size 20s?:rolleyes:

Throw them bad boys some freekin MEAT!

Its obvious I will NEVER understand the mind of a flailer-:confused:

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
it's best in the snow! go back to my 1st post. it sums up what bugs you will want!

B.W.O. fly patterns for the Green River:
Parachute Adams size #16-22
Extended Body Para Baetis size #16-22
Beefus Emergers size #18-22
BWO Fuzzball size #12-14
Gray Soft Hackle size #16-20
RS2 gray size #14-22
Zebra Midge brown, gray, wine size #14-20
WD40 gray, wine, brown size #16-22
BWO Compardun size #16-20
BWO Spinner size #14-20
Pheasant Tail size #16-20
Spotlight Midge gray size #16-18

·
Registered
76 Posts
size 20s?:rolleyes:

Throw them bad boys some freekin MEAT!

Its obvious I will NEVER understand the mind of a flailer-:confused:
Because "MEAT" is rarely the best way to catch trout. I've landed more 20+ inch trout on small nymphs, emergers, and even dries than I have on big streamers. Who wants to chuck streamers when they're feeding on top?

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Big streamers on spinning gear and a bunch of split shot and dredge them deep holes. Big boys are always hanging down there-

I guess if you are happy with 20" ers-

1 - 20 of 36 Posts