Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
We where going to head there last year but did a reunion trip to the Miracle Mile instead. Mile sure does suck now must of been 500 peeps there and twice that at Gray Reef. Im sure the green is crowded but sounds like it can handle crowds a little better.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Haha slayer you are cracking me up in this thread, you and I think alike. To OP, ever thought about hitting Section C? I think there is some good wade access and that is where the 30"+ browns live. I drove around there for a work trip and it looks really productive anytime it is a base flow period (800-1600 cfs). The best part is it doesn't get near the fishing pressure. From what I understand, aside from ant patterns, all the big fish in Section C get turned out on streamers.....probably the biggest at night....

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Mikey doesnt fish after dark...he might to get his TEN!...

·
Registered
16,819 Posts
Slayer and river fishing really dont mix
Au Contraire Tommy! I grew up fishing rivers. I considered lakes "boring".

When I came to Colo. we fished the Miracle Mile prolly 100 times in the 70s-90s.

Then I discovered lakes in the flattops and started catching much larger specimens in the gorgeous high country. I was hooked.

I can fish a river with the best of them-

But many of the rivers are like zoos now. Crybabys everywhere-

·
Registered
216 Posts
90% of the fishers stay in the A section because of the Greens reputation, but the B and C are much more enjoyable and productive.

Here's our 4-5 day Green trip---- 2 vehicles park one at Taylor flats bridge in the C and put the raft in at the dam with all gear. Fish the A and camp 3 days in the B --Jackson creek CG.. to Red Creek.. Mentioned drys-chicadas- woolys are good and big raps at nite in the eddys for browns.

The last 2 days floating the C for big browns especially in the fall--zonkers.. No areas I seen to wade across safely. You can tube across at Little Hole and walk back upstream and float across to the car. The Green is the most scenic river in the west..... enjoy

·
Registered
216 Posts
With a fully loaded raft, it's tough to fish and avoid others but we would stop 3-4 times and fish the south side of the A.. Red Creek rapids can be nasty .. I would stop upstream and check it out before entering to pick my line.. Seen people get in trouble there and lose everything..

Also if your fishing C and it rains the lower section will muddy bad.. There's a dirt road that will take you back to Red Creek and you can walk above --20 min walk --for clean H20 and good action. Had some of our best trips in April when it's not to hot but would fish year round..

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would huck rapalas and heavy metal/ tubes for big trout down deep. If you're gonna go there why mess with midge-sipping stockers when the big browns are deep and hungry?
Never used sinking lines? I can present any fly to the bottom, have more control, and deliver the action I choose; leaves raps and tubes stuck in the mud.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts