Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're heading out on Sat for the annual Green trip. I guess they decided to push some water. Roughly 8800 CFS. Usually we fish it below 1000 CFS. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone fish it or row it this high? I'm not sure what to think!

·
Registered
145 Posts
We fished it from April 9-11. It was roaring at around 9000 cfs. If you row, the current is very fast and you need to be aware of your speed. There are only a few rocks out of the water. The wave trains are larger and longer, but not dangerous if you are familiar with the river. Fishing from the boat will be done in the quieter backwaters and eddies. You will be able to spot fish and catch them occasionally. There are few places to land and fish. If you are wading, there are fewer places to actually fish. The water is deep and fast. The water backs into the shoreline trees and willows. We found a few areas between Little Hole and Dripping Springs to fish. There are places on the trail that are knee deep under water. Be careful walking up the trail. If you make a false step you could be swimming in deep fast water. If you float, you can access some fish on the opposite side of the river from Little Hole. Look for rising fish in the afternoon. I hope this helps. If you want more info, let me know. I hope you have a great trip.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We fished it from April 9-11. It was roaring at around 9000 cfs. If you row, the current is very fast and you need to be aware of your speed. There are only a few rocks out of the water. The wave trains are larger and longer, but not dangerous if you are familiar with the river. Fishing from the boat will be done in the quieter backwaters and eddies. You will be able to spot fish and catch them occasionally. There are few places to land and fish. If you are wading, there are fewer places to actually fish. The water is deep and fast. The water backs into the shoreline trees and willows. We found a few areas between Little Hole and Dripping Springs to fish. There are places on the trail that are knee deep under water. Be careful walking up the trail. If you make a false step you could be swimming in deep fast water. If you float, you can access some fish on the opposite side of the river from Little Hole. Look for rising fish in the afternoon. I hope this helps. If you want more info, let me know. I hope you have a great trip.
Great info. Thank you. We go out annually, so we do know the water. I'm bringing my boy, so a bit bummed the dry action won't be we we normally get. I figure a nymph rig in the slack water, streamers and I will also bring a spin rod for him. Dynamic lures work well there. I guess we will make the best if the situation. Again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Man i have not fished that river in some time. floated it a few times and walked in at Red creek several times and below the dam. Love that river.

Let us know how you do and good luck..

PS
the flows sound crazy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We did have success with black beauties #18 and similar midge patterns in the am. I did did get a few on dries, my preferred method, but it is not what it is in lower water. Parachute BWO, BWO cripple, Charlie Craven's Mole Fly were my best. You must fish deep and with lots of weight. Juju beatis, RS2's, and similar nymphs in size 18 were good in the afternoon. Spin fishing might be tough when fishing through the bushes and trees that are normally on dry land. The Little Hole Trail is knee deep with a strong current in places. We did talk to some anglers that fished near Dripping Springs and said they had some success on dries in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
The higher flows will push the fish closer to the edges in general. fish the edges and fish the big back eddies/ recircs. You'll see fish hanging a foot or two under the surface a lot of times too. fish some san juans and eggs, along with the smaller stuff, midges, bwo patterns. The higher flows can be good in my opinion because it moves the fish around and they aren't as shy. I'm sure you will bang some fish. Hard not to up there. Have a blast!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Planning a float next weekend. Back in 2011 I think when it was a big water the wife and I made the trip during the unexpected high flows. At first we were unsure about floating as the guides weren't sending out any boats but decide WTF and floated anyways. Fishing was actually really good. Not much while actually drifting down the river since fishing the banks resulted in a ton of broken off flies in the trees/bushes. But the eddies were huge and it produced the most fish. If I could remember zebra midges and sj worms. We also dropedp the boat in flaming gorge as the rainbows were moved in closed to shore. Never hooked into a one as the wind was howling and I couldn't keep the drifter from slamming into the shore line where the hardware throwers were. Rapids were bigger but it was easier rowing then when its low.

·
Registered
514 Posts
With flows recently jacked up that high, big fish are going to be opportunistic on food choices. Do yourself a favor and stock up on some of these. Dragonfly and damselfly nymphs and cranefly larvae nymphs. Small flys are great and all, but with flows like that, these are all I would be throwing.

Good luck, post pics..

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
3 boats (2 drifts, 1 raft) have sunk at deadmans rapid the last 4 days, according to one of the local fly service shops. Anybody have any info on this? I know there's a rock in that area that can cause issue at lower water but with high flows this rock should be submerged. Maybe it creates a hole?? I don't recall it being of concern last time I rowed it at high water.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
3 boats (2 drifts, 1 raft) have sunk at deadmans rapid the last 4 days, according to one of the local fly service shops. Anybody have any info on this? I know there's a rock in that area that can cause issue at lower water but with high flows this rock should be submerged. Maybe it creates a hole?? I don't recall it being of concern last time I rowed it at high water.
Not sure where Deadman's Rapid is, but I will say that there was 2 boats that sunk/wrapped while we wee there, but they were on Red Creek Rapid. Not sure if that is the same place? I didn't see any issues the last 3 day. The flows were crazy high. Most everything was under water. The rock in Mother in Law was at least 4' under my boat yesterday as I rowed right over it.:eek: There were some pretty cool wave trains. Fishing was tough the first day as we tried to figure things out. By day 2 we were picking fish up, with little issues. I was picking the up on eggs and baetis patterns. I focused in the slack water, on sand bars. Fish were big and hardy. The current made it even better. Great time, differ but real fun. I will post some pics soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah I called a couple of the fly shops to find out the truth. Guide sunk a boat in red creek and I guess a rental boat father/son who I believe were inexperienced on the oars sunk it at deadmans or maybe it was red creek. Deadmans downstream of mother-in-law. It's more apparent at lower water as there is a flat rock river middle-left that can cause trouble. Yeah I'm super pumped as it's been several years since I have made the trip over in the spring. Yep I remember the slack water/eddies were the place of choice. Thanks for the tips on patterns..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts