Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to the Green next Thursday. Just wondering if anyone has any secret tips in catching fish I've had moments on the river but could always use the wisdom of the group. Last year I smoked them on a sailor ant I'm hoping they still remember how those taste this year. Anyways any wisdom would be appreciated.

Fish

·
Registered
280 Posts
If your fishing section A, use light flouro tippet with little or no weight while nymphing. I've also had some great days after midge hatches with very small parachute patters size 20 to 24 in whatever color.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I heard from a guy who was just down there recently, and he said he fished big cicada patterns and did well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna float the A section with my Dad and my thought on the Cicada thing is every guide in a 4 state area uses it as a strike indicator so my guess is you wont fool many fish. I've never been a big fan of fluro carbon either tough to choke down 15 spool of tippet but I may try it see if it makes a difference....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't buy tippet..... It's an expensive way of buying regular fishing line... Just get the 2lb. test small spool of Berkely Vanish fishing line. It's the same exact stuff... just a lot cheaper..

Tim

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Fly Fish,

This time of year at the Green I would not stray to far from the Terrestrial patterns (Cicadas, Chernobles, hoppers, Beetles, and Crickets). Usually the trout will take any of these imitations, but I know the Cicada hatch peaks every 7 years or so. There will still be some present, but I don't believe the trout key soley on these insects unless a prolific hatch is coming off. This time of year there are always Chernobles, hoppers, beetles and crickets. I have had really good action this time of year on the Ants (Brown or Black bodies). It would even be a good option to put a 24 inch trailer on the top fly for those suspended fish. I would use a small midge pattern or small scud as the dropper (Black or Grey midges, Grey or Olive scuds and small 20 to 24 sizes). You always see tons of fish working just under the surface and the dropper will be a good addition to take these fish. It is hard to beat those big yummy Terrestrials. Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts