Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I have been looking for a website like this for months, the search is finally over.

Growing up on the western slope I fished all the time, but since moving to the flatlands 15 years ago I rarely if ever fished. This year I took it back up so I could spend quality time with my kidz, and I am totally into it.

Living in Castle Rock I am 45 + minutes away from the nearest body of water.

I went up to eleven mile several times this summer, and am looking forward to goin up there more next year.

Not having the $, or space for a real boat, I wanted to see if any of you guys have see/used an inflatable raft/fishin boat.
Does this look plausible to use 4-8 times a year?
http://store.yahoo.com/inflatablesstore/sv-hf280.html
Is it as durable as they say, how is the stability?

Glad to find a home, hope to hear from you.

raynman

F

·
0 Posts
that happy gilmore is awesome!!! When boating any water in Colorado I wouldn't trust a small inflatable in big water like Elevenmile...I'm not sure if the Larry's store up there rents boats but that would be a better bet...I have an old pair of underware that will vouge for not using small boats in big Colorado water!!! I was fishing a 12 foot row boat a few years back in williams fork when mother nature let me know how powerfull she is...Be safe on big water and get something that can handle it!!! Believe it or not Colorado can produce some life threating waves even in small bodies of water.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
yes like the pic
and as far as the raft the time and money that you might have to put into it to make it feel safe you could maybe get into a small boat there is always room for a small boat
glad to see more people finding this site

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Raynman...Welcome!

In my younger earlier days in Colorado I used to use a 4 man inflatible on Dowdy all the time...it was pretty comfortable...just make sure they have multiple chambers...some even have floors and motor mounts...if you put an electric motor one spring for the extra bucks for the sealed batteries like Optima (you can put them upside down and they dont leak and wont damage the raft or occupants)...they are double the price...most of the time I just got off in the afternoon when storms started to build...and then maybe back out in the evening...I wouldnt put it on in the major wind tunnels like Williams Fork, Pueblo, Spinney, Blue Mesa, or Eleven Mile...but smaller bodies would probably be safe if you just use common sense...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I was thinking about picking up an inflatable too, or a smallish aluminum boat. Size is important with inflatables, how big are you thinking? They are probably the most stable(from capsize) craft afloat. Why are river rafts, life rafts, etc inflatable? They don't sink no matter what the sea condition.

I've fished off inflatables around Catalina Island, CA and on northern Idaho rivers. Room is a problem. Poking the tube with a hook is a worry. But I'm still thinking about getting another one. Go with a high quality sturdy boat if you buy one, not the single layer, PVC, low pressure rafts.

Oh I saw your link. Too small and soft in my opinion. Check out something more like this if you go towards inflatables.
http://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable_boat_sd365.asp

T

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
for a thousand dollars you could get a real decent real boat .i wouldnt mess around with a rubber raft unlss your planning on running some rivers.

·
Registered
862 Posts
check the buy and sell part of this forum!! 14ft aluminum boat with trailer and motor for 1000 bucks id go with that one before that inflatable

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the responses,

I will have to exude a little patience, save up some money, and then I can figure out what I wanna do.

Don't have the D's or the space for a bigger boat, I also drive a little tercel so I can't really tow anything.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
raynman-You might look into a pontoon boat or a kayak-much better IMO than an inflatible. More confortable to fish out of, easier to transport, and safer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts