Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the Reef on Friday and Saturday. Wind was bareable on Friday, but howled on Saturday making for tough floating. Fishing on Friday was pretty good; boated about 10 fish and missed about as many. Water was a bit off color due to the nice weather on Thursday. Black beuties and red midges were the ticket. We caught a few on egg patterns as well. Saturday was one of those dreaded days where you get on the water and then the wind starts ripping. We decided to row our way to the take out and possibly get a few casts in on the way. The wind was so bad you couldn't even position the boat for a nice drift. We caught some fish right at the put in and the next hole around the corner, but then struggled to get down the river. All we could do was tie on a streamer rig and do some dredging. The fish were on the streamers pretty good. Managed to boat 6 or 7 fish in a matter of an hour. Deep, slow retrievs were the ticket and even dead drifted. Hot Head leaches and vanilla buggers both worked well. Now I know what to do when the wind is kicking your butt. All in all a great weekend. Weather was nice aside from the wind, mid 40's and sunshine, but gale force winds (as usual for Wyoming). Several fisherman wading the area by the put in were catching fish consistanly. Talked to a few guys Fri evenening who waded and they said they had a great day. They were mainly fishing red midge patterns. If you can hit the weather right, get up there. Saw one other boat on Friday and 3 others on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
HOTHEAD BABY!! that fly has been my grey reef bread and butter go to fly for he last few years. I prefer to use it as my point fly on the dead drift, but I've taken some fish with it behind a vanilla bugger or an orange blossom as well.

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
We've already got reservations at Alcova on 3-3 and 3-17. The north platte baby-Woo-Hoo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts