Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys just got back last night from Grey's Reef. Wade fished it Thursday afternoon and floated it yesterday. The Water is flowing at about 2300 CFM which is about 4 times above normal flows of spring and late summer. I'm happy to report there isn't a sole on that river at this time. I fished the Outhouse hole from about 1pm till dark Thursday saw 3 drift boats and not a sole fishing till my buddy Ike showed up at 6:30. With the flows being that high I hooked alot of fish but didn't land a lot. Did manage to break off 2 hooks in 2 different fish. No they didn't snap me off they actually broke the hooks. Thursday night Ike tried to help me land a fish he deemed too big for the net. Fridays float actually was non crowed as well 6 boats including us on the river. Never had this happen before but one of the guides up there asked us what we were using So evidently he was struggling as well. Anyways probably landed a dozen fish all 18" - 24". There was no one fly of choice. Orange scud,olive scud, red midge, black midge, palimino midge, bwo emerger and rs-2 all produced fish. Can't wait to go back....

Fish

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
yeah, when the river is up it can be a tough trip...all you can hope for is clear water and hopefully most have the weeds have been pushed out by now. Generally when its this high i throw alot of streamers, but it sounds like you did pretty good with the usually nymph patterns. Its strange, i usually only fish a handfull of different patterns on this river...never have i been there where i absolutely slayed them on one type of fly. My usual arsenal (for the winter anyways) are scuds, sowbugs, and red midge tube patterns--all larger sizes than you normally hear fished there, 16s-12s. I also fish larger tippet--3x flourocarbon. Most guys might say this is too big and it wont work that well for this river, but ive (and the guys i fish with) dont seem to have any problems and break off less fish. it also handles split shot better, and i lose less rigs on rocks and weeds than i do when i fish smaller tippet. high water makes for a interesting float trip though...it might only take you half the normal time to reach the take out at Lusby than it usually does...

Ive had somegood days in may though...the fish seem pretty active by now...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rottal

The water was quite off colored so i stuck to 4X but my buddy fished 3x. I guess in April it was a zoo up there but there was no one out there last week. I too stick to a few patterns scuds and red midges being the stable. Cloudy days a black streamer works well but I'm thinking i need to learn the art of fishing a mohair leech. I think i'm missing the boat up there with that. Not sure if you dead drift it under an indicator or strip it like a streamer. If you have any suggestions let me know.....

Fish

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
mohairs are generally fished like a streamer, but on some occasions they can be dead drifted...ive seen them fished before in a size 10 with a midge trailer under an indicator...

ive only fished leech patterns like this a few times, without much success...but i could see that it might work for some occasions.

when the water is off color up there ill fish amber scuds...size 12-14..or tan sowbugs. they get stirred up a bit when the water is churned up like that...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
to a fish..well, probably not much....they can be pretty similiar depending on how they are tied.

to a fisherman however...lol...all the difference in the world.

the sowbugs i tie are fairly bushy, while the scuds i use i tend to clean up a bit...with a wire rib and shell back along with a tail. they imitate the same thing in sure, but i wont fish a tan scud if i have my sowbug patterns. those are the one fly that has worked well for me on the North Platte for many many years.

somewhere in this forum in the past i posted pictures of sowbugs...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well what do u use as your body material Tan ostrich and just palmer it through out the body. I am going to hit Grey reef again hopefully next month wouldnt mind having a new go to fly.....

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I no this is the flyfishing section but if your not against a spinning rod a count down rapala, twisters and cranks also will slay the trout when its high. Know is my groups favorite time to fish the Reef, bigger fish come out of hiding and everything is less spooky.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Parker Tom said:
I no this is the flyfishing section but if your not against a spinning rod a count down rapala, twisters and cranks also will slay the trout when its high. Know is my groups favorite time to fish the Reef, bigger fish come out of hiding and everything is less spooky.
sorry about my late post..ive been gone lately...

i use dark brown thread for the head, a tan dubbing for the body, and an ostrich hurl (or dark brown crystal flash) for the back--wrap the whole thing with fine gold wire and use a brass bore brush to pick the whole thing out after you cement the head. (i fluff out each side) i like a scud hook in 2x wire.

the bushier, the better. they are an easy tie once you figure the proportions out. oh yeah, wax your thread before you dub, it makes it easier to put more dubbing on your thread that way.

so heres the steps--

tie in wire.
tie in ostrich hurl )or crystal flash)
wax your thread, then dub.
wrap dubbing forward and backward, covering the hook shank evenly
lay down you back material over dubbing, tie into head.
wrap wire forward, leaving plenty of space between wraps.
tie in head, whip finish and cement
use your brass brush to pick out the dubbing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts