Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Greyreef for the first time, and was wondering if the river below greyreef dam is the famous big fish part? Or is the river between the dams is part of big fish area. When I was fishing between the dams, this guide told me I was trespassing, I said I didn't see a sign. The guy says see there and points to a metal sign painted red (18"x18"), I said there is nothing on it. He gets pissed and tells me to go back to Colorado, I get pissed and tell him if he needs help to spell the words I will. Have you ever run into the red sign thing?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hello, oldjim. The public access and private no trespassing areas are simply marked with signs in blue for the former and red for the latter. So if you're in a public access stretch and you approach a red sign, don't pass it or you're trespassing. We're supposed to know that for that particular area. I don't recall where I've read about it, but that's the drill for that area. The river below the Grey Reef dam is the Grey Reef area, known for large numbers of fish, many on the larger side. Wyoming trespass laws are strict, and landowners owen the river bottom out to the middle, so be sure of where you are, and don't wade across to the other side to fish unless you know it's public access. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
The famous area is below Grey Reef dam. Very little shore access below the dam. There's more access between the dams but theres a homestead on the Alcova side where the dude hides in the bushes with a shotgun waiting for you to trespass. True story.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I went to Greyreef for the first time, and was wondering if the river below greyreef dam is the famous big fish part? Or is the river between the dams is part of big fish area.
It's not, at least from my experience. The stretch right below the dam is known for a ton of fish per river mile, but not the big ones. You just catch so many that its a feel-good float for the guides and their clients trying to get into a numbers day. It's mostly those stock rainbows that range from 15-20". I've definitely seen a few bigguns, especially during this time of year as the rainbows are spawning, but the lower stretches closer to Casper hold the bigger fish (and browns) - but much less fish per river mile. I think the situation is very similar to that of the Green River, as section A has a ton of fish but smaller, section B they start to dwindle in numbers but bigger fish, and section C and so on.

OR there is the canyon in Miracle Mile which does have some big fish up in there too, but the water stays much colder and isn't as good until the weather really starts to warm up.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Only 15"-20" average! Waste of time....:rolleyes::rofl:

·
Registered
514 Posts
The guides and residents up there ***** about colorado peeps but it's the outfitters that have commercialized the river.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey, just my experience there... I'd rather get into a couple big ones on the lower stretches and maybe see one other boat all day, you guys can have the 30 boats/day on the upper ones.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The guides and residents up there ***** about colorado peeps but it's the outfitters that have commercialized the river.
On this, they're more pissed that the state doesn't have regulation on permits for outfitters from out of state to commercially guide there. Thus a lot of guides in CO market trips up to there and that's why its ridiculously crowded.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
Hey, just my experience there... I'd rather get into a couple big ones on the lower stretches and maybe see one other boat all day, you guys can have the 30 boats/day on the upper ones.
No I was agreeing with you that the 15-20"ers arent worth the hassle.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Got it, thought I was missing something there...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Red is a no go. Been that way for a long time. Be thankful because in Colorado land owners do NOT have to post private property, that sign is a courtesy for you. It is your responsibility to know where you are!

Grey reef has big fish if you know what your doing but around 17" is average. Not a bad average! There are averages like that in many Colorado rivers that are more public than private.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Place sucks now. Like most good things became to popular, over advertised by guides and now your tits to elbows with 5000 Brethren sporting green license plates.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Place sucks now. Like most good things became to popular, over advertised by guides and now your tits to elbows with 5000 Brethren sporting green license plates.
Probably so. Glad I was there years ago. Unfortunately green plates just means they live in Colorado, not that they are Coloradans. Most are transplants from Kalifornistan, New Yemen, or any other Liberally destroyed metropolitan.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
I used to fish it back in the '70s. You could huck metal and bait way down past the junkyard and the big bend. God there were huge trout in there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Probably so. Glad I was there years ago. Unfortunately green plates just means they live in Colorado, not that they are Coloradans. Most are transplants from Kalifornistan, New Yemen, or any other Liberally destroyed metropolitan.
Keep your political hate to yourself or dont post at all. This is a fishing forum, no one here wants to hear your BS. Keep it to yourself.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have been here for 16 years... Most of my adult life. From my experience the people who least appreciate CO are natives...... But Faack texans and califonicators. They are junk in the head. Hope you were referring to New york when you said "New Yemen" Because New Faaackin Hampshire is the live free or die state! Also the home of the free state project(https://freestateproject.org/. ) And the spiritual home to the Patriots! If it was not for salty east coasters you would all be praising the faackin queen of england and be living in piers morgans idea of a utopia....

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I fished "the Reef" last year. You will be happy to know it will be less crowded because I never plan to go back to that combat zone.
The first day I waited for two guys working a sweet looking bend. After an hour they bugged out. I started walking and some a hole had his son run to the hole.
I seriously thought about knocking this fool out but Im glad I kept my head.
Never again...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yep, New York.
Bartendertom, if you don't like my political views you are free not to read them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts