Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody fished these rods?
I have an 8' 2wt TFO professional, and was thinking of getting a 10wt 4'. In my search, the Grey's XF2 Streamflex came up as a possibilty.

I'd be interested to hear from those who have other rods in the 4wt 10' range.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Haven't fished it, but it casts nice on grass for a 10' rod and is super light in the hand for that length. I have heard nothing but great things about that rod.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I have the previous model Streamflex in a 10' 5wt. I like it a lot, it does what I wanted it to do......sling nymph-rigs, extend my reach, mend nicely and protect tippet. The older versions(without the ghey extending butt dingus), are available pretty cheap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at 10' 4wt rods for heavy nymphying and slinging double streamer rigs.
I can get a hold of any gloomis rod for a little bit of a discount, but the NRX only comes in a 9' length. Their 10' czech nymph rod would be too stiff for normal casting is what I am told.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Rob Kolanda (Greys/ Hardy) was down a few weeks ago and gave a great tutorial on czech nymphing. We have on loan a 10' 4 and it's AWESOME! With a 9' 5 rod (Echo, Scott, ect) I've been known to set a hook and fling dinks halfway 'cross the Arkasas. The midflex streamflex is a lot more forgiving. That being said I had the opportunity to cast a 9' 5 Hardy Zenith and OMFG :eek:. When they say 30% lighter they mean it. I have the same problem as Oyey. Carpel tunnel and tennis elbow pain can be crippling. Light weight and good balance really help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What shop are you at?
Do you think this rod would be pretty good for some longer line nymphying with heavily weighted bugs?
My main purpose for this purchase would be for fishing during higher flows on the Colorado. I think the extra length would help me mend the line, and a heavier rod would help me throw heavier bugs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The rods are at Anglers Addiction Pueblo. I throw size 1 buggers with lots of lead in Lake Pueblo with my 9' 5 and it performs well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mines a 10' 4 weight. LOVE IT. I like it at least as much as my buddies Sage 99. But at less than half the cost I'm getting an 11' 2 weight as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts