Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys anybody been up to gross latley??? I went last sat. and me and a buddy caught 11 lakers not very big but perfect eatin size. They were all round 19 " and fat!!! I had 2 on that were bruisers. pulled so hard that I olmost lost my pole. Wasn't able to get a good hook set on him he was pullin my drag out like it was nothing. 95 fow using salmon eggs, suckers and roe sacs!! weather was cooperative for once!! I love this place. Just waiting for the big one though maybe fri when I hit it up.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gross is off hwy 72 and and cresent park. Theres a gas station take a right wind arround and it will dump u off on a dirt road called gross dam road. take it to the bottom and theres a fork right to baseline road on top of flagstaff road in Boulder. this will lead to the north side of the res on the dam take a left there is 2 parking lots the south dam side and the inlet parking lot. The walk is harsh and steep but well worth it. I go to the inlet parking lot and walk west twards the inlet. The Koke snag there is normally really good but this year I have not seen a single one and I have been there every weekend since sep 1. Last time this year we had over 80 some salmon already non yet. but last year they stocked 250,000 in there so if the muskie and lakers don't eat them all a couple years should be good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good report. I'm heading up there Friday also, perfect day to get away form the Thanksgiving bustle and close to home! Two questions for you though, were you fishing towards the dam or the inlet? I've caught some lakers near the inlet before. The second, how was the water level? I know it was getting low the last time I was there about a month ago.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
how big were the kokes inch wise at gross last year lunkerlaker ? , my brother went to the inlet and his boat awhile back , saw no kokes also, carter is slow also,

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kokes we averaging 17-22 rarely a 22 but we caught a couple wierd thing about 10-1 ratio for females to males. I like that cause I keep the roe last year we had 3 qt. sized bags full for the ice year. until this year there were no boats allowed on gross so shore is the only way to go but this year you can put kayaks canoes and multi chambered rafts non motorized only that u can carry on youre car. No bait restrictions besides the standard no livebait. There are huge muskie in there I have personally seen 5 1/2 ' to 6'. talked with a guy who his wife caugt a 57 incher last year. seen 16 pound rainbows come out about 5 years ago at the inlet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Remember there is a canoe season though. To quote the site, "Memorial Day to September 30th. Boating is not allowed from October 1st to Memorial Day, except for whitewater kayakers on South Boulder Creek using the Osprey Point Take-out.".

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
thats awesome , 17 to 22 inches are nice kokes, i wonder how many were stocked four years ago , that will be the ones coming up , if they dident stock very many they might not run at all, carter is way low , i havent seen one koke this year yet, the biggest koke i caught this year was at taylor a 22 and a half inch male on a orange kastmaster jigging

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I forgot to mention the times of boating season ::). I'm going up tomorrow to the inlet will post how we do on fri afternoon.

·
Registered
267 Posts
LUNKERLAKER said:
Yea I forgot to mention the times of boating season  ::).  I'm going up tomorrow to the inlet will post how we do on fri afternoon. 
i'm curious as to how you did today, thinking of going up on sat.

did you mean to say the lakers were 95 feet deep? how do you know were you counting down? it's not frozen already is it?

tell more about how you were catching the lakers. i've got a freezer full of suckers and i'm itchin!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hit up Gross today. Got there around 10 and fished the inlet. Not much action, so I hiked in on the shore a ways. Wasn't hard to find a hot spot. Someone had been fishing roe sacs and left their trash all over the shore. Hooks, snippings, line, a plastic bag. I picked up most of their trash so nobody thought it was mine and made up some of my own roe sacs. Tossed a few out and had great action. I caught a 19" laker, and a couple of 16"-18" rainbows, all really fat. One of the rainbows put up a really good fight. I got it in and saw that it already had a roe sac and hook in his throat with about a foot and a half of line hanging out of his mouth. I was able to get it out without making it bleed and let him back in the water. I'm getting a digital cam so I can post pics like this. In closing I want to say thanks to the guy who left a clue to the hot spot, and thanks for making fisherman look bad at the same time.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i fished grross for my first time , i hiked towars the inlet with my two brothers, we knocked the rainbows out most were small , i caught one at 17 inches, and my brother caught a 18 incher , no lakers , i tryed spawn sacs but no luck

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Fri. was cold and windy still knocked the Lakers dead we caught 11 on Fri none really big about 17 - 19" nothing to scream about. Using suckers and salmon eggs off a cliff in about 90 feet of water I know this because I have been fishing the same spot for years and years and this year with a boat I was able to use my fish finder to more accuratley map the bottom of Gross I used to use a topo map of gross to find the good spots. But noticed a lot of subtle differences between reality and the map by some guy from the 70's any way I'm getting a little side tracked. John sorry to say but that lake is always trashed I get so mad because of that because it's my favorite place to fish and I always carry out at lerast 1 or 2 bags of trash. Anyways back to the report went back up Sat. and holly cow we started at 7 it was a little late but oh well. It was a little breezy but nothing like the day before. Caught 8 lakers all on suckers deadsticking it with 1 ounce of weight on a slip weight system. Well nothig special until about 11 saw the first koke of the season about a 16 in full red just swimming above a huge cliff well about 10 min later we see this huge log looking shadow come floating up it could only be one thing, yep a 40+" tiger come swimmin up after that koke and just stopped 2 or 3 feet from us I already had my pole out of the water to re bait up and I decided to throw the biggest sucker I had on to try to get the tiger to bite it well it worked my drag went screamin and the ******* threw the hook before I could set it. sorry to ramble. Didn't get it this time! Another thing is one of my lakers about 18 inches had a swelled up stomach like it swallowed a softball I didn't know if it was pregnant or just gorging itself never seen anything like it I wish I would of had a camera. So bottom line is 19 lakers in 2 5 hour days. olmost 1 tiger and sighted the first koke of the season. Good weekend all in all!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
sounds like ag ood day all in all.

I deceided to go up sunday and try my luck with a buddy. got up there around 9:00 started fishing northwest end fo the lake. then came the wind and i couldnt beleive how hard it was blowing we tryed throwing some spinners without any success tryed fishing off the bottomwith powerbait and nothing. the wind was blowing so hard you go to cast srtaight in front of you and you line would end up 50 yards from your orginal direction. Then you add the cold temp my guess 20 deg. ??? stayed for about 2hrs and decided we had enough and called it a day. Oh yea the water level is realy low right now id guess maybe a 100 yards from the normal water line is . maybe next time ill have better luck. :)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never had much luck on the north side except for ice off then the rainbows collect in some of those coves. Gross is a strange beast it took me years to figure that one out. I think it's so tricky because of the steep dropoffs. and so much inexcessable fishin areas. What color of power bait were you using? Try the green and orange rainbow or the red white and blue (captain america).

·
Registered
30 Posts
First time posting on the site.  Saw your posting about Gross Res. and had to try it.  Nice lake, good hike and very, very windy.  Saw a ton of fish but didn't have much luck.  Saw rainbow, kokes in the red and two tigers (got a picture of the second one, try the link).  This will be my last bank fishing trip of the year.  Trying Jefferson on Sunday for some hardwater Macks. :)  Thanks for all the fishing info.

DP
:)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
where were you fishing? north or south side. Where were the kokes at?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts