Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the scene of the crime. For the record: I had plans to go before all the drama unfolded this week. Thanks to everyone for your tips. Unfortunately the fishing was not nearly dramatic as this forum has been over the past few days.

Water level is very low. Fished from 7:00 AM- 1:00 ish. We fished on the south side. My wife caught one small stocker rainbow at about 9:00. He had a lot of little nibbles on orange power bait. I am sure they were all small stockers. It was her first trout and she was having fun.

I fished with suckers using a slip shot rig part of the time and a jig head at other times and had very few bites at all (maybe 1 or 2). No fish. Spoke to other anglers they said they had some success on the south side near the dam earlier this week but no one was seeing much action today.

All in all a slow day fishing- but I was not in the office, the weather was awesome, the wind was not bad, and my wife had a great time.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Did you fish close to the parking lot or did you venture off a ways to find a nice cliff? Sorry to hear the fishing was bad, very uncommon to hear about that there.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very uncommon to hear about that there.
You have obviously never fished with me!! It is not uncommon to hear about that anywhere I fish. But I am trying to learn. I should preface my report by saying I am a rookie and my report should NOT be used without seriously considering the source- but I do want to contribute to things around here (or try to). Also this was my first time to fish at Gross since I was a kid so I am learning the lay of the land.

We started by parking at the Mirmonte (??) parking area away from the dam. We walked towards the inlet to the first cliff we found- but we were not too far from the vehicle. When we moved to the parking lot at the Dam we fished near the parking area (mainly because the wind was picking up).

Which parking lot do you recommend? Should we have walked farther?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Fished it on wens. Crappy fishing for me too. Hiked out to the inlet. Lots of nibbles, a few 8 in stockers and one about 12in, all put back. Dead sticked some cut sucker too, nothing. I'm gona wait untill i can put the pontoon in before i fish it again-

·
Registered
636 Posts
That lake can be hard to figure out, but once you do, its pretty good to you. I like to walk around quite a bit which can be difficult and find the parts where the water is very deep over right over the edge. For the rainbows you don't even have to cast out far. Since there is such a steep slope around most of the lake, I try to just float a tipped jig under a small bobber. They usually don't hit very hard. I never had much success bottom fishing there. Jigging a dead minnow can sometimes work great too. I have never really fished close to the parking lots because I like to get away from the other people but usually park in the boat launching one. Now that I finally have a 4x4, I can park in the inlet parking lot to save my legs some. I like the inlet area but I think it might still have some ice. Suprised the wind was not bad, usually its blowing from all directions very hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts