Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting an ice and laker fix, and not wanting to drive 2 hours and fight snow & ski traffic, jclay and I were going to hit the dam area. At 7:20 AM,..find the gate closed. Not wanting to wait 10 minutes, ::), we headed off Osprey Pt, towards the west side, just enough snow on ice for traction. Set up in 60fow. Lakers abound on flasher,..alas, lockjaw. Jeff stayed put in shanty,..I wandered around endlessly, punching hundreds of holes in the 6 inch ice,..from 28fow to 80fow. Patience is a virtue, lol,..but if no bite in 10 minutes,.I moved. Didn't really help. I caught as much as Jeff ( 0 ). Made one more move, off a point in 48fow, and it was on! Well, for a short time anyway. Macks put the feedbag on around 11:30. I could credit my profound wisdow in finding a good area, and correct lure at right depth at right time,..but Jeff was also nailing them at his stationary position. Lakers! When they wanna eat they eat. Caught all mine on a 3 inch white/pepper tube with suckmeat,..Jeff's were on a pink / kokanee-looking thing. A little breezy at times, but mostly calm,..overcast and no sunburn! Around 12 macks between the 2 of us,..no huge #'s, and the biggest pushing 18 inches, but fun to get out, and 45 minutes to the barn!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Nice work on the macs guys. That sounds just like the two of you. One is willing to wander around to find fish and the other is willing to try unconventional tackle for macs. I guess you just had to wait for the bite to turn on this time around. Extra work yields more fish on most days though. I have heard tales of big fish from Gross, but I have yet to see one posted. I'm not going back there until I see one. I know what you cynics out there are thinking: I don't have the skills to catch a monster mac any time soon anyway.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Were they splake, or lakers? I've heard there are splake in there, some say no, but why in the world would they stock splake with so many lake trout in there? Still hard to tell the difference between the two in most cases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts