Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the ice off Gross yet? I was thinking about going Saturday. Has anyone been fishing yet? This is a good time for the browns and maybe the kokanne if the ice is out the spring run off has started.

·
Registered
85 Posts
oooo... yeahhh!!!! just as a suggestion, you should try the panther martins in the yellow body and blade with red poke-a-dots. I found a nice spot that produced some bows last weekend and i could only catch them on that lure out of the variety I tried. 8)

·
Registered
164 Posts
How has the fishing been on Gross? I have not been up there since 1997.... Last I was there I did not do so well and have not been back...

·
Registered
902 Posts
ice is way off. Fished it a week and a half ago. Bunch of stockers, 8in and one 12in. others say they have been having luck, but i'm not sure, some people like 8in stockers.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been going to Gross steady for about 10 years. Even during the drought years I caught fish. It has been 3 years since I caight my last brown. Last year I caught a few splakes and kokanee from the shore on the left side of the dam. Yellow seems to work well for the ures and katmasters in silver works on certian days. As always salmn eggs if you want stockers and lately orange powerbait.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks Chief!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Last Friday I walked all the way around the lake, "crossed the inlet" to the tip of osprey point "that is one hell of a hike" only to lose the biggest brown I have ever hooked, I was sooo pissed off- he spit the lure right at my feet :eek: he was huge I would have mounted that bad boy for sure. I was using a yellow panther martin. I caught alot of stockers but I know there are some nice bows because I was nailing them 2 weeks ago, and still no muskie.
I literaly had a dream friday night of that tragic moment I shared losing the biggest brown I ever hooked into that calm friday 4/21/06- I think i will need some counsiling now! :mad:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yeager, that really sucks man. I can't believe you hiked the whole lake!!!! That's almost 11 miles. I have hiked there for four hours and never made it around the whole lake.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
fishinlooney said:
I've heard that you can put a cartopper boat on Gross but I'm not sure if you can have an electric motor?  Are there restrictions? 

Boating at Gross Reservoir
Memorial Day, 2005
Since fall of 2004, Denver Water has been working to prepare Gross Reservoir for expanded recreation. The recreation area will be open, beginning Memorial Day, 2005, to non-motorized car-top boats.

Some roads on the south side have been closed periodically, to allow construction work to prepare parking and a boat ramp at Osprey Point. Parking for anglers and kayakers is also being prepared to give better access to South Boulder Creek below the dam. This parking area and an associated trail should be open in the spring of 2005; boating will begin on Memorial Day and continue through September 30.
Denver Water will continue to implement the recreation management plan in coming months until all new facilities and activities are available.

Boating regulations for Gross Reservoir will allow car-top boats (canoes, kayaks, row boats) but not trailer-hauled boats, sail boats (no windsurfing or ice boards), or any kind of motorized boat. Allowable boats must be single-hull construction, hand-propelled, and less than 18 feet long. Inflatable boats must be multi-chambered (no inner tubes, air mattresses, belly boats, or single-chambered rafts).

New parking regulations will be in effect at Osprey Point when the new facilities are operational. More law enforcement and safety information will be posted as the recreation season approaches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I guess I was a little confusing.....I did not walk around the whole lake, BUt I did walk a grip!!! If you go to osprey point and look out from the parking lot you will see a huge point pointing at you from the other side of the lake............. I walked around to the inlet- crossed the inlet- and then went up and over the mountain with wet boots - it took me an hour and a half just to be tramatized by the biggest brown I have ever hooked.
The knowlege was worth it though- yeah I gained even though I lost, for those out their who are to lazy to know what that feels like. ;D

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do most of my fishing across from that point. Around June the tigers will be next to shore and the browns will come up into the spot next to the small jetty.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I lost the brown off of that point!!! :(

"I know your sick of the brown that got away", but I cant forgive myself. :(
Are the lake trout more towards the dam because I have not had any luck yet for them on that lake. ???

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have only caught lakers about half way to the dam on the left as you face the dam. It has a large outcropt of rocks that seam to go out forever. They have what look like fresh water shrimp and crawdads. I usally use kastmasters or sucker meat from the shore their. Someday I will try fishing form a boat. I have lost some nice fish from that spot. Their is a concrete structure on shore next to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts