Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: Ice is slick and hard and causes equipment and bodily damaged when used to stop falls!! A friend and I went to Gross Reservoir on Friday despite the prediction of strong winds. We arrived a little before 7:00am and the wind was howling. We decided to fish the north side of the lake near the dam and when we started down the road to the lake we were plowing through 3 foot snow drifts. Once we got out of the tree the snow was only about 8 inches deep and the walk was much easier. There was not much snow on the lake so slush wasn't an issue. We fished depths from 35 to 155 feet. My friend caught a fish at 155 feet which was the deepest we have ever caught a lake trout. The wind made bites hard to detect, but we did alright setting the hook on the light biting fish. We fished 5 or 6 different spots and picked up 6 or 7 fish everywhere we tried. Most of the fish were between 13 and 16 inches with a few 18 inch fish being caught. All the fish we caught today were released. The fish hit various colored tubes and tails and always hit right on the bottom in whatever depth we were fishing at the time. At about 1:15pm we made what was going to be our last move for the day. As I finished drilling the first new hole I pulled the auger out of the hole and went to turn to drill a second hole and I went flat on my face on the ice. I still don't know exactly what happened, but there was a small patch of slick, white ice next to the first hole and I think I must have slid on it. I slammed my face on either the ice or my auger handle and when I rolled over I saw the auger handle in several pieces and blood all over the ice. My friend helped me get the bleeding stopped and a band aid put on the cut. That took a while. Luckily, I always carry first aid supplies in my bucket or we might have had a tougher time getting the situation under control. Of course we had to fish for a little while longer before we headed out. A grader had graded the road down to dirt while we were fishing so getting back to the truck was more of a chore than we had anticipated. When I got home I went to Kaiser and they used 5 stitches to put mu chin back together. The day turned out to be more of an adventure than we were counting on. If anyone is fishing at Gross in the near future and sees lots of blood on the snow, rest easy knowing that no fish were harmed in the making of the red snow!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I let my Buddy use my Ice gator last season at Chatty with the same results.... Told him "don't use your weight, just let the auger do the work" NO.... he went into the ice and auger, two deep cuts on his chin and forehead with lots of blood... luckily, I had a clean rag with me to stop the blood.... now he makes me do the drilling....

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm impressed that you had the first aid kit with you. I may need to add a few items to my pack. Did you just happen to have Flat Stanley with you or did he magically appear after your fall?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Willowbasher said:
I'm impressed that you had the first aid kit with you. I may need to add a few items to my pack. Did you just happen to have Flat Stanley with you or did he magically appear after your fall?
The first aid kit always goes on the ice with me. Cuts from hooks, cuts from fish teeth, cuts from just about anything can put a damper on a trip if you don't have anything with you to treat them. Hopefully there aren't many trips that require the use of first aid, but it's nice to have it when you need it. That is actually Flat George in the picture. He arrived from my 5 year old nephew who lives in Ohio on Thursday. He is suppose to go on some Colorado adventures before I send him on to California. His first day here was an adventure for sure. He probably tripped me and made me fall!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Tough luck UB. I feel bad for you. I saw a couple of spills today and I hate seeing stuff like that.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Holy cow! I'm glad you are alright and could even continue to fish. I saw a guy fall an an auger at Antero a couple years ago and darn near lose a didget. Glad you had some fishing success as well!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Nice to hear you survived the cut, and kept on fishing! Slipping on slick ice is no fun.
Was going to hit Gross today,..but the forecast for 40-60 mph winds did deter me. I saw on the 5oclock news, Nederland hit 60+ mph winds today

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I read this report this morning and couldn't think of the appropriate comment. Wow. Your reports are always interesting Ray! Flat was a bad omen for you but you got the picture - that's what counts. I didn't know what your injury would look like after seeing the damage your chin imparted to the auger. Yikes! Glad you were able to get the bleeding under control and still manage to salvage the day.

Now, the fishing question that I have for you is this: how do you get a hookset at 155 feet deep? Even at 1% memory that's over 1.5 feet of line that has to be stretched before getting the hookset. And that's not even counting line stretch! My hat is off to your partner for helping to doctor you and - what? - 155 foot catch???

Great report as always.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts