Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished Gross Reservoir on Thursday and Friday and the ice conditions and still very good. The edges are opening up in a lot of areas, but the ice on the lake is still 6 to 8 inches thick in most areas and is good, hard ice. The weather on Thursday was very nice with temperatures in the 30s and mostly clear conditions with no wind. On Friday it snowed lightly all day with temperatures in the 20s and no wind again. Two days in a row without wind at Gross doesn't happen very often.
Both days I fished off of Osprey Point because it is much easier to access the lake there when there is no snow on the ground. Thursday I carried my gear onto the lake. Friday there was just enough snow on the ground when I got to the lake to make it possible to take my sled without having to pull it on the rocks and sand.
The fishing was very good both days and I caught and released lots of lake trout. On Thursday I was finding lots of fish but nothing real big. The biggest fish I caught on Thursday was 19 inches, with most fish running between 13 and 16 inches. On Friday I found an area with some bigger fish. I had 1 21 inch fish, several 18 to 20 inch fish,and a bunch of the smaller fish. The fish were caught in 45 to 95 feet of water and right on the bottom in whatever depth I was fishing. The fish hit lightly both days and even though they were feeding well, they would usually just stop the jig on the drop. I would bounce the jig on the bottom and then bring the jig off the bottom about a foot and the fish would hit as the jig was dropping back to the bottom. I switched to 3/8 ounce jig heads from 1/4 ounce and that helped me detect the bites better. The line usually went slack on the drop and I set the hook.
Overall, it was two good days of fishing with totally different conditions, but both days produced lots of fish. I fished alone on Thursday which probably wasn't the smartest thing to do on Gross, given my past history on that lake. I had several friends with me on Friday and everyone caught plenty of fish.
The fish seemed to hit white tubes the best both days, but crawdad colored tubes worked well also.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Nice pictures. Can defintely see the weather difference between both days. I hope to catch some lakers next week.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
brook king said:
Great job Twister! I think you are the master of Gross ( Sorry for any double meanings)
I second that!...you have had lots of great reports and success at that reservoir...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts