Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I have been hoping for a cold spell that would finally put some ice on Gross Reservoir. My friend checked the lake out the weekend before last and there was only ice in the inlet. When we arrived this morning the entire lake was ice covered. We were happy to see the ice and we were hoping that when we got down to it that it would be thick enough to fish on. We went down by the dam and when we got close the ice looked a bit scary. We walked out a short ways and drilled a hole and found 4 inches of hard ice. On Gross, we would like more ice, but we decided to keep moving and checking the depth as we went. we found 5 inches of ice in a few spots and 3.5 n some others. We felt safe enough and decided to fish. We drilled holes in water that were from 70 to 120 feet deep. We started fishing and were getting bites right away. It wasn't long before we started hooking and catching some fish. We were using the usual tubes and tails tipped with sucker meat and we were fishing right on the bottom regardless of what the water depth was. The fish wanted the jigs moving most of the time. We fished until about 1:00pm and then it started snowing pretty hard. We had caught and released over 50 lakers by then so we decided to pack up and head out. The climb back to the truck wasn't a lot of fun, but the fishing was worth it. We caught fish from 7 to 20 inches and most were fat and healthy. Most fish were caught in 70 to 90 fow, but my friend caught several in water 130 feet deep. If the cold weather hangs around for a while the ice should get a bit thicker over the coming days. When we were at the truck a Water Board worker came by and he told us that there were 15 to 20 trucks at Osprey Point and lots of guys were fishing in that area. He didn't know how thick the ice was in that area.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
879 Posts
Great job Ray, You can catch macks anywhere!! Thanks for sharing

The difference a day makes, four to six inches of snow and slush today.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Great report. Ray, you always do good on that lake. I have my days, most often so-so.
Nice to hear there is fishable ice there,..hopes it lasts a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts