Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
friend was up there three weeks ago and said it was completely open , everybody is scared of the ice there personally ive never had a problem

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
A guy told me a long time ago that he drilled a hole at Gross and the water level was several feet below the ice. Don't know if they drain the lake at times after it is frozen, you would think that if they did they would not allow ice fishing

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
heard those stories so many times it makes me laugh, heard that about green mountain also unless your drilling three feet from shore I doubt your going to have a problem, like ive said ive been there numerous times and never ran into this but ive always drill
ed my holes out away from the bank. as always use caution and common sense and you should be fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same fairy tale every year when a conditions report is asked smh. Ice fishing has been allowed every season. NO signs exist with "caution possible water level several feet below the ice"......Nope! Been there several times use common sense and safety gear.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Same fairy tale every year when a conditions report is asked smh. Ice fishing has been allowed every season. NO signs exist with "caution possible water level several feet below the ice"......Nope! Been there several times use common sense and safety gear.

It is ice fish at your own risk. Gross is deep, and water levels do fluctuate in winter sometimes. I would feel confident going out there right now, but I would still bring a spud bar. Always better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
heard those stories so many times it makes me laugh, heard that about green mountain also unless your drilling three feet from shore I doubt your going to have a problem, like ive said ive been there numerous times and never ran into this but ive always drill
ed my holes out away from the bank. as always use caution and common sense and you should be fine
nice

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I personally did not make it but had two friends that did they drilled there holes through about six inches of hardback snow and then four inches of clear ice and low and behold the water was at the bottom of their holes, they fished anywhere between 25 and 80 fow and caught fish typical gross lakers small and skinny had no problems getting on or off ice

·
Registered
309 Posts
I personally did not make it but had two friends that did they drilled there holes through about six inches of hardback snow and then four inches of clear ice and low and behold the water was at the bottom of their holes, they fished anywhere between 25 and 80 fow and caught fish typical gross lakers small and skinny had no problems getting on or off ice
Thanks for the report littlemac. You ever catch a Tiger Trout out of there? Turns out a few have been stocked. My buddy caught one in the fall. I think it is a cool addition to the lake.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am kicking around the idea of icing Gross on saturday.

Does anyone have a recent conditions report that might save me a trip up there because it is un-iceable?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn...

I'll have to bring a high-beam flashlight to shoot down the hole to monotor my slip bobber.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts