Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i headed out to Gross this morning in hopes of doing some ice-fishing but this warm weather has opened up the reservoir again. Arrived about 6:30 a.m. on the south side. Ice is still in some of the coves and the inlet areas looked to be frozen but unsafe. Stupid me forgot to bring my regular fishing poles so I had so fish with little 24" ice rods. Man did I look stupid casting with those things in that horrible wind. Good thing I was the only one there. Started out fishing with a orange ratso under a slip bobber about seven feet down tipped with shrimp. Hoping to catch some kokanee but only the rainbow were biting. I actually think they were cuttbows because they had the deep-red slashes under the jaw. Landed five, all about 16inches and released them all. Lost a few more and missed tons of bites. They were hitting the Ratsos tipped with salmon eggs too but only wanted the orange ratsos and not any other color. Fished off a cliff that looked very deep with sucker meat and a white tube jig and after about five minutes had a tap tap. Then my line started running making the reel scream. I tried to tighten the drag a little and my pole snapped. I have no idea what it was. All in all, I had a nice day even though I got skunked. I don't count trout unless it's a laker. Hopefully that place will freeze up by mid January and I can try again.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I bet it was a laker that busted you off. Did your line break when the pole snapped? That must have been interesting with an ice rod.

·
Registered
863 Posts
yea if theres open water I might try to hit it tomorrow I wanna go fishin tomorrow but have no idea where to go .....I would like to go ice fishin but I have no auger so....open water I need to find!!

L

·
0 Posts
Hey Got muskie glad to hear u fished gross even if it's just a little rod. I would put money on a Laker got ya! I know right where u were fishin and thats where one of my spots are it's very deep there when it's full it's 108 ft 20 ft off that cliff. Thats where i got my biggest muskie in the spring. I also see most of the muskies there as well!! Good luck if u make it up there Pitbull!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
mapquest.com ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts