Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one ever ice fished here? I here it has some huge fish, but the ice is questionable due to so many warm water springs.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Ice fishing is allowed at Gross. The ice can be iffy but it usually very safe. The only time to watch it is during huge water flucutations which can delay or weaken ice conditions. But unless water level is like 10 feet below the ice I wouldn't worry about it. Ice is a lot safer than most people who don't understand ice fishing think.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
From the Regs on CDOW...but I could of sworn that Boulder County didnt permit ice fishing there...the winds cause havoc with the ice too...

127. Gross Reservoir ? Boulder County
a. Fishing is prohibited between the hours of 9 p.m. and 4 a.m., or as posted at the main
entrance.
b. Snagging for kokanee is permitted from September 1 through January 31.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
I'd of bet my left nut that you couldnt ice it!Learn summthin new everday..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will definitely hit it this winter, its so close to my house. The reason I asked is because I was told of the musky in there, I here there are some hogs.

F

·
0 Posts
concidering its proximity to denver its very under fished . Someone earlier this year got a master angler award for a tiger there . I think the fish was 44 inches long !!!!!

·
Banned
26 Posts
It's good ice fishing for macks. Lots of people fish up there every year.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've ice fished Gross many times. That is when it is most accessable. The tiger are huge but very hard to catch. I've never gotten one but saw one that was every bit of that 44" someone mentioned. The macks are what most people catch although the rainbow can give some action as well. the lake starts freezing at the inlet area first and slowly spreads toward the dam. It is a place to be careful though. Just like any other iced pond.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i ice fished there years ago and found good ice. caught some macs and trout. the bad thing about that place is the wind. you need creepers because there is rarely any snow on the ice and a few rocks in your pockets won't hurt either. when my son was about 9 he got thrown 10 feet,chair and all by a blast of wind.its like a wind tunnel there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts