Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents grounded me from fishing until I get my grades up. I think it has been 3 weeks now since I have last fished. You've never wanted to go fishing as much as I want to. This has been a nice time to read up on fishing reports and talk to people. I have learned a ton for everyone here. Now I have to go put my new knowledge to the test. I need an excuse why I must go fishing. Anyone have any ideas?

T

·
0 Posts
no excuse needed, Just get the grades up!My parents did the same to me but that was 25 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Yeah, school 1st bud. You've got a whole lifetime to fish. IMHO I'm quite sure if you do well in school, it'll lead to a future of "more time for fishing".

My example:

If I were to have stayed and continued through college, I'd be finished by now and I'm only 22. So then, the only thing that'll stand between me and fishing is probably work.. "And the Woman"

But I goofed off a lil too much and yes, I did go fishing a lot too. Now I'm trying to catch up in college and I only get 1 full day out of the week to fish. I'll have to deal with this type of schedule for another year and maybe another three years if I continue to the 4 yr degree. That's my lesson learned. Sure wish someone woulda told me that when I was in high school.

But if you're a lil too desperate, do whatever it takes. That's what I did.. ;)

"Do NOT take that last part of the advisory"

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
hfc,

You should be glad you have parents that give a darn -- and they must be doing it for your own good. Grades do become important and if you don't learn how to keep them up then you are in for even more trouble if you go to college.

Good luck and keep your spirits high -- school is almost out!

M

·
0 Posts
what grade are u in? imm a junior (high school) and this is by far my hardest year. senior year is gonna be a breeze, but i manage to get two hours in every day after school and then homework at night. work in between. come on man, multitask!

ha, i don't get the grades lecture too much, mine r good, i get more of the clean ur room or no fishing thing, whereas it used to be clean your room or no skateboarding

oh well

be good and what school u go to?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Every spring I used to get grounded for grades it seems.  We used to jet straight from practice to Ramah or a little blue gill pond near by.  Hours and hours of fun.  Ramah's not a worry now so the locals out there might as well keep the grades up  ;D

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am a sophmore (and yes i am aware of what it means)!!! I go to Arvada West High. My grades would be better if i was in regular classes but since i am in all honors, i have to work a little harder. My grades are about there. I tried the head full one when my friend called and asked if i wanted to go fishing. I changed it a bit "I am worn out form studying so hard. I could use a little fun. Can I go out and have some with a few friends?" They fell for it  ;D until they heard me tell my friend on teh phone that i could go.  adn asked him what we were fishing for.  thats when the parents entered.  :mad:  :'( Oops. Learned my lesson. Next time dont mention anyhting about fishing until you can fish again!!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I am a sophomore in high school with two college classes. I have a 4.0 gpa, and I play baseball, as well as fish and a good amount of hanging out with my buddies. There are shortcuts you can take in school that will boost your gpa, and your grades. Now while they may seem like a pain in the a$$ at first, it is really very simple to follow and you will find out you aren't really missing anything.
1) Study in the library during lunch. Go out to eat only on fridays. I find that usually during lunch, my friends and I end up walking around doing nothing constructive, or driving around doing nothing constructive. Use the time to study.
2) Find out what kind of learner you are, and learn the correct way. I myself am an auditory learner and learn things spoken aloud. So when I take notes, I read them aloud to myself after the class is over. If you are a visual learner, like the majority of people, just write down the notes again a couple of times, then read them to yourself if you get any free time.
3) Don't socialize during class. Use passing periods for this. If you must socialize during class, I know I do, you must have the ability to be able to do the work the teacher assigned to you while socializing.
4) Try to make educated guesses on what a teacher is going to put on the test. If your teacher gives you notes, turn around the heading of the notes into a question, for example:
calloids in solution: the Tindal effect
Try to find the relationship between the tindal effect and calloids in solution. A question that may be on a test would be: What effect is used to describe a calloid in solution? Answer: The tindal effect. You'll be surprised how often you will know exactly the questions that will be on the test.
5) Find out your teacher's theory of what you need to know from a class. For example, if your teacher is more about the big picture of why something happened in history, don't bother with memorizing dates. It won't do you any good on a test. However, if you have a teacher picky with small details, it will be things like..."On what date did the battle of midway occur?". If you have a less picky teacher, it will be, "Why did the battle of midway occur?" A good trick is to study your teacher and then study the proper material.

The previous is just my fancy way of "cheating" at school and it is why I have a 4.0. The previous isn't really what teachers are going to tell you to do, but believe me it works. Good luck and make sure to get the grades up. Once they are up, you can just follow my 5 guidelines sort of half-a$$ed and still pass the class with a quality grade. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
TFB

Damn.... Proud of ya man. Takes a lot of motivation and heart to stick with a "plan" like yours. I remember when I used to (and still can't) stand studying or keeping my attention on one thing. Maybe I'm just A.D.D. or something. Anyhow, I made it worse as the highschool years went by. Now I'm back on track, but just a lil late.

"Cool as the cat that came to school just for lunch." <-- Atmosphere 00'

·
Registered
281 Posts
TFB,
Dam fine work you will go far.
I made to 9 th grade got a ged and a job struggled for alot of years 2 full time jobs from 19 til 32. Now i have my const Copany 25 people working for me like haveing 2 jobs still.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Doesn't your school give out extra credit for helping clean out the local pond/lake ? Mabye even-extra extra credit for catching and identifying species of fish while you're cleaning? If not, do your parents know they don't ?  ;)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
james said:
Doesn't your school give out extra credit for helping clean out the local pond/lake ? Mabye even-extra extra credit for catching and identifying species of fish while you're cleaning? If not, do your parents know they don't ? ;)
James has a point. I heard somewhere DOW is offering classes in some high schools. They aren't here, and I surely wouldn't enter one, but it may be credit that you are interested in. Like I said, this is just heresay but you never know... ;D

·
Registered
804 Posts
Do what I did. Drop out of school and go crab fishing in Alaska! Just Kidding!!! Do well in school. Study Ichthyology and become a better fisherman!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am also glad to see that your parents care enough to "assist" you in acheiving a good or in your case a great education. Unfortunately, some parents do not pay attention at all or until its too late.

It will all work out for you, you will see and you have plenty of time to fish... When you do get out there it will be more special.

I have to admit the "crap fishing in Alaska" option was funnier than hell.....

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hunter,

Sounds like child abuse to me. I have 4 girls and only 1 boy and I have grounded my son from everything, everything that is, except fishing. It's gotten me into some hot water with my wife more than a few times but, hey, we're talking fishing here.

I'm not much of a movie guy but I did see that movie once with Billy Crystal and Jack Palance (City Slickers?) where Billy Crystal tells his friend that no matter what happened bewteen him and his dad when he was young, they could always talk baseball. Well that's how it is with my son, no matter what happens, we fish - and we get along great when we fish. Now when we come home and unpack the car, well, that's a whole 'nuther story! But grades won't stand in the way of fishing memories.

_Colorado

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Just keep this in mind=A really nice new boat will cost you around $30,000.00 and you'll have to have a good job to get that which in turn means you'll need to do well in school.

unfortunetly I went to school high, more than I went to high school. Thats why im pimp'in my 14' V. :) :) :)

-Jay

1 - 20 of 28 Posts