Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/article_0313ce10-10aa-11e0-8c8e-001cc4c03286.html

This just doesn't make sense? There is nothing wrong with the water lines out there, and the water taste/works just fine. But the largest thing is: you have a budget strapped State Park..and one of the busiest Parks in the State..and they cannot even fix the main road (which is awful) and the bike path (which is almost as bad); with the money they are using for this! Not to mention they plan to close down the Park on the lake side of the North road (for all uses, around the two campgrounds). I don't get it (actually I do...it is the State Park)...

D.J.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I imagine DJ, they are trying to use the low season to make changes. I'm sure they have reasons for the water too.

One thing about government organizations, good or bad, is they try to make sure their program gets funded.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TAL0362 said:
I imagine DJ, they are trying to use the low season to make changes. I'm sure they have reasons for the water too.
I trust you are not very familiar with the main Park road...

D.J.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I have not been there for a year or so, so no.

By the same token you say the water looks and tastes fine, but it could have elevated levels of who knows what, above drinking water standards.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TAL0362 said:

By the same token you say the water looks and tastes fine, but it could have elevated levels of who knows what, above drinking water standards.
I figured that much..

And that would have to mean all of Pueblo West drinking water supply would be at the same level of "who knows what." Curious I haven't heard anything about that...

D.J.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
djfisherman2 said:
TAL0362 said:

I figured that much..

And that would have to mean all of Pueblo West drinking water supply would be at the same level of "who knows what." Curious I haven't heard anything about that...

D.J.
You know DJ, Talo's comments made me think... I am not certain that both P-west and the res are on the same system. That said, if the content of the water is found to be dangerous, and the parks know about it, they have no choice. The liability of bad water is HUGE and would cost them millions if folks started getting sick. Waterborn desise can cause life long problems, and the settlements could be tremendous.

I am not saying this is the case, just saying if the reason for doing this is because they discovered a health risk, then the move is necessary and not avoidable. If this was done just to improve the amount of water or where it is available, then it was foolish.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
last fall they had to work on the water system in the yucca flats campground while it was still open and it was slow work because they could only do as much as they could finish in one day so they had no open trenches after working hours that someone could fall into in the dark if they had to go to the bathroom in the dark. as it stands there are only about 30 camp spots open at this time on the north side.

i hope they are working on the waste water system at the same time as they have had trouble with it for years. i know they have had a vandleism problem it the shower rooms and the laundry rooms with many of them being closed for sometime now.

i understand that they will have a new fish cleaning station going in on the north side soon.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oyey said:
djfisherman2 said:
TAL0362 said:

I figured that much..

D.J.
You know DJ, Talo's comments made me think... I am not certain that both P-west and the res are on the same system. That said, if the content of the water is found to be dangerous, and the parks know about it, they have no choice. The liability of bad water is HUGE and would cost them millions if folks started getting sick. Waterborn desise can cause life long problems, and the settlements could be tremendous.

I am not saying this is the case, just saying if the reason for doing this is because they discovered a health risk, then the move is necessary and not avoidable. If this was done just to improve the amount of water or where it is available, then it was foolish.
True man; but if it was different, then you would think that the quality problems would have been front page news (with warnings and the whole deal). Not to mention I would think they would mention it in the article?If that was the case...then I would be all for it...no doubt. But I just have my doubts with the State Parks, and no mention of water quality problems in the first place.

D.J.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
DJ.
I agree, it may not be a current problem, however it could be an immanent problem. Fix it now, during the slow season, vs shutting the park down because of the problem high season.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I guess it would be nice if they would just say why this is being done in the article....

I'll say this... DJ is absolutely right about the main road. It is a mess and they do constant small patches that only wear away with one big rain. That road should be a top priority for sure.

·
Registered
910 Posts
maybe they leave the main road the way it is because if they fixed it up real good, wannabe nascar drivers would be careening around their new speedway. With the undulating pockmarked poor excuse for a road they have now, most drivers keep their speeds manageable.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
fischer said:
maybe they leave the main road the way it is because if they fixed it up real good, wannabe nascar drivers would be careening around their new speedway. With the undulating pockmarked poor excuse for a road they have now, most drivers keep their speeds manageable.
No they don't... They drive all over the road to avoid the bad sections... believe me, riding with my wife through there is an adventure... if they fixed it it would be far more safe. The huge potholes that people dodge make it tough.... I know of two people who have had allignments thrown off on that road while going the speed limit. One of em is my dad who has a hard time breaking 30 anywhere he goes....

·
Registered
910 Posts
sounds to me like people are going too fast for conditions. don't care what the speed limit is.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TAL0362 said:
DJ.
I agree, it may not be a current problem, however it could be an immanent problem. Fix it now, during the slow season, vs shutting the park down because of the problem high season.
Yeah, I suppose as "immanent" as getting new trucks every year right...
And it will be closed though May, I believe?

Jason; you couldn't have been more right.. If it is a bad supply, it would be nice if they would just say so. And for sure that road should be top priority, as much money/time as they have spent with their little patches...it probably could have been repaved.

D.J.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts