Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday April 30th 2006. 11:00am – 3:00 pm

I went and explored some of the beaver ponds along Guanella Pass on Sunday. Snow was still on the trails, but all the ice was off the water. A nice hatch of midges, and other assorted fly’s allowed for steady surface action. The brookies ranged in size from five inches to 13 inches for the largest of the day.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks for the report I have been wanting to head up there myself. I wonder if the Silver Dollar lakes are free of ice. Did you head up there or just hit the ponds along the road?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unfortunately, the Silver Dollar lakes probably won't thaw until mid June. I am waiting for that too because those are great lakes to fish!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, the Silver Dollar lakes are about a mile further up the trail. It's actually a pretty cool hike. Last time up there I was talking to this peep who was spotting for Bighorn in the fall. There was a pretty good sized herd up on the rock face and I never would have any inkling of their presence had he not pointed them out to me. Awesome sight.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Has any of you hiked over to Frozen lake or Abyss lake. Its been years since I've been up there. Used to live in Clear Creek Cnty and sure miss going up to those hi mtn. lakes. Now that I am thinking about it so much I am going to make sure I make it up there this year.

·
Registered
16,529 Posts
I have been to Frozen twice and Abyss 3 times.They are both 7 or 8 miles. The last 2.5 miles or so to Frozen lake at 12,695 ft. has no trail. It is a brutal hike but worth it. The 45 gegree climb up those rock slabs with the water pouring through is epic!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Slayer great to see another hardcore fisherman. Youre right about that hike. I better start getting in shape now! Always have done well at Frozen not so good at Abyss. How have you done?

·
Registered
16,529 Posts
The first time to Abyss was in '95 and I got 2 r-bo's 19.5"@4lbs and 17"[email protected] Other 2 times skunked. Although in '04 I saw some 20"+ cuttys.

First time to Frozen I caught 10 cutty's 13-16". Second time skunk. I rarely fished more than 3 hrs or so 'cause the weather is kinda iffy up that high.

There are many lakes with better fishing easier to get to. There's sumthin about fishin' at almost 13,000 ft though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was up on guenella saturday fished the inlet of clear lake since that was the only ice free part and got nothing. I was wondering if the creek up there had any fish but was unable to fish because it had a thin sheet since i was there fairly early in the morning.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah i think we followed the map wrong and thought Naylor was Slver Dollar. But the thing was the trail ended at Naylor or we just took a wrong turn i dunno.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts