Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I whole heartily agree. I don't mind sharing a spot on the river if I have to, but I'm tired of being pushed out of a spot where I was first. But I play the bigger man and leave, mumbling under my breath curses like; may all your grand kids be born with sucker lips.
I understand they need to make a living, but showing fishing etiquette is part of teaching clients, isn't it? It's all about respect.
I had one guide once actually ask me very politely if he could have his clients fish the run I was in. I had no problem with that at all. But to bully themselves in, uh,uh.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Another greenie bashing comment - I always wonder - how do they know you are from Colorado? Do you wear special hats or something? I may have trouble with people now and then, but the only way I know where they are from is before or after fishing when we are in the parking lot. Never have figured that out.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Common courtesy not only applies to the guides it should also apply to those fishing without guides. This state is full of discourteous fishermen & woman. This article while true; fails to target all culprits IMO.

I have had my fair share of discourteous people fishing rivers, streams and lakes over the years in more than one state. It's more of a reflection of lack of upbringing than anything else. Respect and courteousness to others is a major problem in today's society in general. We live in the self-entitlement generation now and it's sad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
GrumpyNinja is absolutely right. It is a lack of upbringing. It's this "ME" generation. I see it at work as well. This younger generation has very little work ethic, but they expect you to hand them everything like they deserved it in the first place.
Respect for your fellow man is gone.

·
Registered
902 Posts
GrumpyNinja is absolutely right. It is a lack of upbringing. It's this "ME" generation. I see it at work as well. This younger generation has very little work ethic, but they expect you to hand them everything like they deserved it in the first place.
Respect for your fellow man is gone.
Probably why I prefer fishing with older guys.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
If a guide and his party just barged in on a run I was fishing I would calmly wade to shore get 2 softball to bowling ball sized rocks and wade back out and launch them into the middle of the run and ruin it for all and when he got on me about being discourteous it would give me my opening for a discourteous discussion..I guarantee he would think twice about doing it to someone else...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i had a guido pull in on a troll i was on. right in front of me, and my boat in motion... he threw a marker buoy down... oh man. i kept my cool. and he watched me and my boat pull laker after laker in all day. i did mention were id put the marker buoy one pass, but eh. i said it politely... lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is kind of off subject, but I think some of us have experienced this.
College kids and their inner tubes. Rafting guides not so bad, but those kids coming down down the river, floating right between you and where your target is splashing all the way.
All I want to do is stand in their path with that classic Clint Eastwood pose, holding a muskie rod with a 12 inch Rapala, with 5 treble hooks glistening in the sun.

"Go ahead, make my day."

·
Registered
991 Posts
Rafting guides not so bad
Wow - wish I could say that. I was on the Ark fishing with my brother and a raft came by. I took my rod up over my shoulder and held it there to let them know that I was out of their way. The guid brought the raft right through the middle of the hole and had everyone slap their oars on the water when they got in to it. Total dick move!

Then we moved up stream and were fishing a really nice stretch. Bunch of kayakers came through and started flipping on the rocks and rolling in the holes we were trying to fish. Now mind you, they had the whole river to play in and we could see plenty of other spots for them to play in, but they HAD to do it in the spots we were fishing.

I don't mind sharing the river, but I wish others would show fishermen the same courtesy.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
As far as the raft guide goes, usually they have the name of the raft company on the boats. Swing by the guide service on your way home and let the owner/manager know that you will be posting a yelp review of their company.. That guide will not be a problem on that river anymore.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
man these river hippies sound like dicks... ? i know a snagging hook and a braid 100lb rod and their asses would be a swimming group.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Like every group there are going to be some dicks. I know some real nice river hippies that I have paddled with and I have met some real Grade A #1 assholes fishing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
^yep

1 - 20 of 34 Posts