Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Fuji alconite concept guide in which the ceramic eyelet has become detached from the frame of the guide but is otherwise intact without coming out of the guide. I am wondering a dab of methacrylate where it will not come into contact with the will suffice or if a more detailed repair is in order.

My primary concern is that the very hard but relatively brittle eyelet by the heat and slight expansion the methacrylate produces as polymerization occurs such that it will damage my 6lb nanofil.

Thoughts anyone??
Thanks in advance,
Dissident

·
Registered
413 Posts
My primary concern is that the very hard but relatively brittle eyelet by the heat and slight expansion the methacrylate produces as polymerization occurs such that it will damage my 6lb nanofil.
Holy science lol Personally, I'd just replace the guide. On a cheap rod, maybe I'd just give it a dab of CA.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
Glue the fucker on, if it dont work, replace the entire guide-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy science lol Personally, I'd just replace the guide. On a cheap rod, maybe I'd just give it a dab of CA.
It's a St.Ctoix Avid AVS66MLF2, my favorite walleye rod. I fish it 2-5 days/week depending on amount of free time and water conditions vis' a vis' water levels, turbidity, and recreational boat traffic.

By "CA", are you referring too cyanoacrylate??

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's a St.Ctoix Avid AVS66MLF2, my favorite walleye rod. I fish it 2-5 days/week depending on amount of free time and water conditions vis' a vis' water levels, turbidity, and recreational boat traffic.

By "CA", are you referring too cyanoacrylate??
Yup. Glue it to get you to the off-season, then maybe see about getting the guide replaced. If it's your favorite rod, you owe it to yourself to have it fixed right :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is definitely a question for our resident, self-admitted genius, MathGeek. Maybe he'll chime in or have one of his home schooled mini geeks provide advice on the chemical composition and properties of the appropriate cyanoacrylate for your needs.

I'm with Slayer. Use some kind of Zap-A-Gap (PT-04) that is formulated for marine use. A fly shop should be able to sell you a bottle as these glues are used to securely hold lead eyes, etc. on flies.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I just thought about something, if it's an Avid, there should be a limited lifetime warranty on it. Contact them, they may replace the entire rod for free, but likely you'll have to pay some sort of "deductible". If I remember correctly, it's around $50

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the responses, I'm going the methacrylate route up until ice up. It deserves a professional repair before spring.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
If it's a St. Croix avid, you should really consider just replacing the rod with a different rod/brand

1 - 16 of 16 Posts