Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my first trip to the south platte will be taking place later in october and i am wondering what people thoughts are on the need for a guide or not.

i will have 2 1/2 days to fish and since this will be my only shot at it for the year i am wondering if people would reccommend that i spend that first half of a day with a guide to get things figured out or if i can gleen enough info from the board here and a stop in at a shop to have decent success.

i consider myself an average fly fisherman, not a pro, but not a beginner.

thanks for any help. and if you think a guide is the way to go please feel free to toss out some guide services who you think would do a half day for me at a reasonable price.

thanks
-mcp

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
in your situation it might be worth having the guide that first half day if you can find a good one that is very familiar with that strech of the river especialy if this is your only time out you realy want to make the best of it

dont know if it is available but a guided float tripp would be cool then you could really cover some territory and then go back to the hot spots the next couple days

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would say that a half day guide will make the rest of your trip. Blue Quill anglers in evergreen is one that I would recomend from first hand experience. If they don't offer what your lookin for, they'd be happy to point you in the right direction. PM me and I'll give you some more info.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I definitely think a guide would be a good idea for your first half day. Contact Janice O'Shea of Trout Trips at (303)518-4337 and be sure to tell her that Donald from ColoradoFisherman sent you. She has some of the most knowledgable guides in the area and she'll definitely get you taken care of. Have a great trip!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I agree with Don a guide if you can afford it is the best way to go on new waters, however most Colorado waters fish very similar so if you are proficent on the other waters you fish you may not need a guide.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What section of the S. Platte are you going to fish? 11-mile canyon? Cheesman? Spinney Ranch? You can get a huge amount of information by searching on key words from previous posts.

If I had 2 1/2 days I would go to Spinney Res. and fly fish the north shore weed beds with Black wooley buggers... Trout are just thick in the shallows right now!! Stop by Chapparal store and buy a few flies off of him and he will tell you right where to go...

But then again, you may want the "Stream experience"...

Tim

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It doesn't sound like you're from Colorado so my advice is to get a guide for at least half a day so that the rest of your time will be enjoyable.

And buy/tie a lot of small flies!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
That particular stretch (along with most colorado tail waters) can be fairly technical...so yes, a guide would be a good idea. Arm yourself with some 6x tippet, a 5x leader, and a good arsenal of smaller flies. Doing some research on the interenet prior to going will help you decide what patterns to get. Think small, for the most part...and you will most likely be nymphing. do your research as far as guide services, but i think most will run you about the same amount. after a day (or half day, depending on your learning curve) you should have it figured out....

good luck!

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you can catch fish nymphing you could easily do it yourself if your skills could use some advice from a guide go with a half day. Presentation is everything, so if you got that down all you got to figure out is what fly to use which is easy, san juans and nuclears or eggs and worms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts