Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any recommendations for Bass guides near Orlando/Kissimmee area in Florida. Looks like there are a few online, but its hard to filter through the crap. Was wondering if anyone has personal experience good or bad with any guides in that area.
Looks like Toho would be the lake nearest to where I'm staying.
Wed the 5th of jan would be day.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Re: Guide Recommendations for Kissimmee/Orlando area

I used A#1 guide service last summer and wasn't impressed at all. The guys equipment was old and not much tackle. I would not recommend him.

·
Registered
297 Posts

personally I'd just drive the 100 miles south and fish any slough and canal that connects into lake okeechobee. at this time of year, you WILL catch bass. get a topo map book of FL and find the back roads.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

If you have any interest in fishing the Stik Marsh instead I have used a guy named Hugh Crumpler multiple times, not sure if he still guides but if he is or he recommends someone I would definitely use him or his recommendation. Jan. and Feb. are killer big fish months!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Chris said:
If you have any interest in fishing the Stik Marsh instead I have used a guy named Hugh Crumpler multiple times, not sure if he still guides but if he is or he recommends someone I would definitely use him or his recommendation. Jan. and Feb. are killer big fish months!
Cool, I'll look out for that name as I continue research. Big fish months! exactly ;D
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about calling an outfit called Tom and Jerry's. But I'm still researching a bit.
Jörmungandr said:
personally I'd just drive the 100 miles south and fish any slough and canal that connects into lake okeechobee. at this time of year, you WILL catch bass. get a topo map book of FL and find the back roads.
Yeah, I just really want to catch a big one! I'm just sick of catching 2-4# bass. Is that selfish? >:D
I figure if I went exploring on my own, with a bucket of big wild shiners, some spinnerbaits and some plastics, I'd get into a few. But no big ones, having little to no experience in the area. I'm talking 9-10lbers.

bassboy said:
I used A#1 guide service last summer and wasn't impressed at all. The guys equipment was old and not much tackle. I would not recommend him.
Cool thanks for the heads up. Yeah I looked at that guy and wasnt impressed either.

Thanks guys any more information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

This guy took over for Hugh Crumpler he retired a few years back, onecastaway.com is the site! The pic in my avitar is one of the many fish caught in the 8 to 10# range with the largest going 13#s from the Stik Marsh using Hugh's services! Better yet you could just take me, rent a boat buy some shiners and I will be your guide! ;D

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Unfortunately stick marsh is like 100 miles from where Im staying, and if I was gunna travel that far, I'd probably go saltwater. Lake Toho is like 10 mins from where I'm staying. Plus I will probably need a ride so I dont have to monopolize the rental car all day.

Thanks again for your suggestions guys.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts

For your best shot at a 10 you can't beat the stick marsh/farm13, I think the 100 mile drive would be worth it. Pick up a cheapo second rental car $40 and get down there.

Balloons, shiners, and garbage can bucketmouths!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ended up only booking a four hour trip, as per the guides request.
Probably caught around a dozen fish for the boat. Caught one big one, not huge but big I'd say in the 4 1/2 to 5 lb class, many were in the 2-3lb range. Used Big live shiners, just outside of emergent vegetation and grass. We were pretty much constantly getting hits from pickeral and gar, they'd pull the baits down stun them we'd pull tight pop them out of the gar and pickeral's mouth and thats qwhen the bass would hit 75% of the time.

This photo gives you an idea of the size bait we were using compared to the average fish we were catching.

This is the big one of the trip....

Not sure if I'm 100% convinced it was worth the money, guide was pretty tight with information, and not terribly active in finding the monsters I was looking for, even after I asked for quality not quantity. He was Fair, his gear was fairly modern, and his boat was fast. But not moving once in four hours was a little lazy IMO.

Especially since I was consistently catching quality fish just fishing the golf course ponds where I staying.

All in all it was nice to get away from the weather and golf and bass fish so I'd say it was a successful trip.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Pretty nice Luke!
Good review man... I did one guided trip at toho felt about the same but we did move around...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Sounds like a great time! Next time up there do yourself a favor and fish the stick marsh you wont come away with the same feeling!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts