Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to plan a one day guided drift boat trip for the end of May when my father comes out to visit. I'm in Loveland (Northern Colorado) and would like to stay within a 3-4 hour drive if possible. The only fly fishing I have done is for pan fish and bass back in the midwest. Can anybody offer any suggestions or where to look into? I've heard that up north Grey Reef has great fishing but is lacking in scenery. Would be great to have both nice scenery and good water to fish. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check out the North Platte around the CO/WY border.. The reef may see some heavy run off this year, so end of may could be a no-go up there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agree if your looking for some scenery as well going through six mile gap on the North Platte is a nice place to float though. I can get there in 3 hours from downtown Denver so you should be fine with your time range.

·
Registered
596 Posts
End of May is a tough time to fish for a lot of the rivers. Contact St. Pete's fly shop in Ft. Collins and they will help you out. Good guys there.

·
Registered
466 Posts
With higher than normal snow pack, most rivers will have very high flow at the end of May. Keep checking streamflow here: http://www.dwr.state.co.us/SurfaceWater/default.aspx and decide later.
I'm no expert but you should look into Green River at Flaming Gorge and Grey Reef. They are out of your targe driving time but you can stay a night or two and have some quality time, just a thought.
Last year, I float fished the Ark near Salida with Sorelip in mid May and ran into the first day of runoff. You can count that one out for end of May for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts