Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if there is a topic on this already somewhere or if this isn't where this post should be. I am not an avid forum user.

My spouse and I are interested in doing a guided fly fishing trip in CO in July 2017. We did a fly fishing trip in WY a few years ago, and I wish I had done more research on guides and conditions of the river before we went (the water was too murky to fly fish, and our guide didn't really take the time to teach us how to fly fish regardless--he was more interested in letting us catch fish), so I am trying to take extra care this time around.

Like I said, we are pretty much brand new to fly fishing, which is why we'd like to go with an experienced guide who has been doing this for a while and knows the area. Can you give me some advice on the best guides in CO for fly fishing?

Just as a side note, we do not have an area we are set on going to for this, so I am open to all suggestions. Our first priority is an experienced guide, regardless of location in CO. We will be staying for over a week with really no agenda other than to take in the beauty of CO, so we are super flexible and willing to travel around.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
936 Posts
The reality is there are so many Fly Fishing Guides in CO it's hard to pick and choose. I would start by finding a river or stretch of river you would like to fish, then find a reputable guide or guide service in the area.

Give Roaring Fork Anglers a call. They are great and the fly fishing around Glenwood Springs/Carbondale/Basalt is undoubtedly some of the best in Colorado.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'd suggest spending as much time in the next year learning/practicing/improving your skill set. Your guide will work harder for you if you show up with a clue imo

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would second the Basalt/Carbondale/Glenwood area for good fly fishing and readily available guides.

I would also suggest the Gunnison/Almont area for good fly fishing as well. The Gunnison river and Taylor River are exceptional fisheries and the East river holds some nice fish as well. They all meet right in Almont. As far as beautiful scenery, you cant go wrong with that part of the state. Crested Butte is close by, and it is personally my favorite Colorado Mountain town.

Good Luck

·
Banned
553 Posts
If you wanna dunk some corn for a few suburban salmon id take ya free of charge. (Smokes not provided)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Firstly as I live in New Zealand I must confess to not knowing much about guides in Colorado despite having fished there briefly.

Nevertheless if I was looking for a guide I would seriously consider getting in touch with Joe Shafer.

I have been most impressed by his willingness to valuable info & handy tips at no cost, so would strongly recommend signing up for his free bulletins.

http://www.joeshaferflyfishing.com/about-joe/

Cheers

·
Registered
386 Posts
You may also want to try the South Park area. You'll have the option of fishing the South Platte drainage, the Arkansas River and both Spinney Mountain and 11 Mile reservoirs which hold some of the biggest trout in the state. Try floatubing a reservoir, you may be surprised. Arkanglers has a group of established guides for rivers, high country as well as reservoirs.
http://www.arkanglers.com/
Riunoff should be pretty much over by that time also.
Dryfly fishing can be excellent that time of year.
Bill

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Andy Kim. He's the best guide ever. He will come to Colorado and put you and yours on fish. He is without a doubt the worlds greatest fishing guide. He's worth every penny.
http://www.fly-fish.com/yong2.html
That guy is incredible... Not sure I would pay him to come to CO (because there are plenty of great guides here) but man, what a fisherman... I watched him catch a beast at the Taylor one time. He was a nice guy... I'll tell the story some time.

Anyways, Find Brandon Soucie... just trust me on this... Go where he says, and you will do great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts