Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has some private lakes that he wants me to guide on but I am not sure what steps I need to take to do this. I know to guide you need to CPR and first aid qualified but other than that I do not know. Can someone help me out. Thanks Anthony

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
TonyQ, with all due respect, if you want this information, you really should google it or do your own private research through shops that have guide service or others that guide on their own. something a "good" guide should possess regardless of the information being sought out.

if it is in colorado, cpr and first aid are the least o your hurdles. outfitter license through the state, setting up some sort of business, liability insurance, use permits for public water, as private water guiding would not seem to be worth the cost/effort alone, marketing/advertising, equipment for use, etc. etc. etc.

guiding is no picnic and so not just about taking someone to a good spot. do your research and then do some more and you will see what's ahead for you.

good luck

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
My guess is that if you are fishing private water, you wouldn't need a license! Butt... I wouldn't take my advice or thought! :D

Jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
Id you GO and catch some great fish....please do not post the pics. Eat'em'; love em but dont rub private lake fish pics in the generral publics face. We are not in the same places.

fishmohr

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
So let me get this straight....You have a friend with private lakes worth guiding......

And you've never called? >:D

·
Registered
11,845 Posts
Tony, There are plenty of complicated solutions, but there is also an easy one. Find an outfitter who you know that will let you guide under their licences and insurance. You will need first aid and CPR, and you will need to find out the legal responsibilities of the land owner (a waiver may be necessary). Most outfitters have private water access and know the procedure.

Also, if you don't know any outfitters, I am sure there are countless that want access to more private water...

My best advice is to give me a call. We'll go fish the water to discuss the details.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, you should check with DORA. But if your friend is taking someone's money for fishing on his property, then he is an outfitter. But I don't think he needs a outfitter license because it's on his own property.

For a guide to work for an outfitter--either as an employee or a contractor--all you need is the first aid and CPR certification. But it would really be smart for your friend (the outfitter) to have liability insurance and require the client sign a waiver of liability that protects him and you from suit if the client is harmed.

·
Registered
11,845 Posts
Remember Tony, if you take out a client, and then force em to kiss you goodbye, then someone is responsible for the truama!!!!

(that was for the mostache drawing at Arkanglers!)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read the DORA website and I knew if you worked under an outfitter all you need was first aid and CPR. It got a little confusing when it came to private property and that’s why I asked the question. I found an outfitter that I could work under so I do not have to worries about it anymore but thanks everyone for the help. The Armchair Angler that is some of the best advise I received here thanks for all the help it will truly make me a better angler (DICK!). Hobie I have not brought any of my friends there because I hate fishing private water just not my style but I have no problem getting paid to take people to fish there. Jason nice, give me a call sometime and we can talk about a trip someplace.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm always up for a trip. Shoot me some info and let's put something together. Maybe run a few folks through before you go fully legit. I have tried to guide people before...I know now this is not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Mattsabasser said:
I'm always up for a trip. Shoot me some info and let's put something together. Maybe run a few folks through before you go fully legit. I have tried to guide people before...I know now this is not my cup of tea.
I'll bring the beer and festivites.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts