Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting tired of getting crawler dirt on the boat and was thinking about getting a container (either the 3in smelt or leech) Anyone use them consistently?? what are your thoughts about this stuff???

Thanks in advance!
John

·
Registered
98 Posts
Note: I am a novice eye fisherman. I have caught a few early season keepers with the gulp leeches. Lately, not so good. I am going to revert back to live ones since they are available.

·
Registered
902 Posts
at least worm dirt dont smell like cat urine. i hate the smell of gulp stuff and all the containers leak. at least the oval shaped ones did. maybe im just mad it leaked all over my backpack at cheeseman.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Just DON'T let it leak on ANYTHING you care about...
I've caught more fish on 'plain ole" plastic baits...
BUT, I don't have a "Berkley Corporate Sponsership" to uphold. >:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
I keep my crawlers in a small Styrofoam container with just a little water and ice on a hot day. I return them to a bed when I am finished. Keeps the crawler mess out of my boat, and it out fishes gulp.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Don't use bait
Hahahaha

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
That **** stinks. I put my crawlers in either dead leaves or wet newspaper, no more black dirt.

Real leeches work much better anyway-

What Boon says is true. I catch more keepers by ripping blades than dragging worms now.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My II Cents

If you have a rear live well keep the worms in there and bait hooks over it.
When done fishing pour water in it to rinse it out.

No rear live well use the motor splash well. :thumb:

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
If you have a rear live well keep the worms in there and bait hooks over it.
When done fishing pour water in it to rinse it out.

No rear live well use the motor splash well. :thumb:
Unless you are sitting in the bow where most of us sit-

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I hate using bait!! But last week we caught about 80 eye's and spots on bait during practice and the actual two days of the Pueblo tournament. Not one on a blade or any kind of rip jigging???

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I agree Neil but Friday we caught more on gulp alive, sat. and sun. worms ruled.
if you use gulp stick to curley tail grubs, 1'"work better than 3"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Plano makes a nice waterproof container. Transfer the gulp into those and no worries about spilling. Nice thing about gulp is the colors don't bleed. Mix a few different colors and sizes in the Plano and they are good to go. Caught a lot of fish on the minnow baits, no so much the leeches.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I've only used the ones that come in a smaller 10 pack, never the rechargeable, bigger container of liquid. That's nice that you can mix the leeches and minnows together. Also, the times I've used it, I've caught multiple fish on one bait. Crawlers, you are almost always re-baiting. In fact it's a bit of a celebration when you don't lose worms.:D Although I will say crawlers is my bait of choice. You catch everything that swims & they'll out fish everything out there.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Yep, that's what I use.
Great minds think alike!

Plano makes a nice waterproof container. Transfer the gulp into those and no worries about spilling.
And they come with some tongs so you don't have to stick your hand in the stinky!!
Here's a shot of both.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Yep he is right mixing doesnt bleed...old fashioned tupperware makes tons of lifetime seal plasticware brand new its expensive but garage sales have old tupperware containers for pennies...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts