Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the guys that warrior to the Gunnison drainage, check the flows. We had late snows and buku rain that has resulted in late released flows. Taylor, upper Gunnison, lower Gunnison, are seeing normal or above normal flows. I was in the East Portal to have the water increase 500cfs. Uncompahgre is blown out big time below Cow Ck and the tailwater is at 900cfs. Taylor is at 900cfs below the reservoir, just 200cfs below record flows(possible we may see a new record?). Rumor has it the Taylor above res hit over 1000cfs. Cimarron is blown out and Siver Jack is spilling.

In other words, watch your step, especially in the canyons. You might swim out but unable to get back due to wall-outs. I've pulled one "kid" out of the Gunnison and never want to pull someone out again.

On a different note. Giant stonefly hatch is on and working up the black canyon. Been so for a few weeks. Yellow Sally's, Caddis, and PMDs are coming off in hordes. I'll post a short video of the Lower Gunny stonefly hatch when I have time. The yellow Sally's are camera shy and too small for my GoPro to show the extent of the hatch. This specie of yellow stone emerges directly from the water. At times it looks like snow flakes falling up. lol. This time of year it is not unusual to have a salmon fly, yellow Sally, Caddis, and PMD all crawling on your arms at the same time. Absolutely awesome after fishing #26 midges all winter!

I'm glad to see the return of these flows but fishing will be "slow" until the flows stabilize. Focus on tailouts and the banks. Dry/dropper ran down the bank can be productive. As usual, the big guys prefer the dropper. Streamers and soft hackles swung through the tail outs can produce large fish. Heavy tippets on these guys as fish hit them with purpose. Evenings are best as the insects return to lay eggs. So pack a lunch, water filter, and versatile boxes and.....

Rip some lips,
SlabSeeker

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
To all the guys that warrior to the Gunnison drainage, check the flows. We had late snows and buku rain that has resulted in late released flows. Taylor, upper Gunnison, lower Gunnison, are seeing normal or above normal flows. I was in the East Portal to have the water increase 500cfs. Uncompahgre is blown out big time below Cow Ck and the tailwater is at 900cfs. Taylor is at 900cfs below the reservoir, just 200cfs below record flows(possible we may see a new record?). Rumor has it the Taylor above res hit over 1000cfs. Cimarron is blown out and Siver Jack is spilling.

In other words, watch your step, especially in the canyons. You might swim out but unable to get back due to wall-outs. I've pulled one "kid" out of the Gunnison and never want to pull someone out again.

On a different note. Giant stonefly hatch is on and working up the black canyon. Been so for a few weeks. Yellow Sally's, Caddis, and PMDs are coming off in hordes. I'll post a short video of the Lower Gunny stonefly hatch when I have time. The yellow Sally's are camera shy and too small for my GoPro to show the extent of the hatch. This specie of yellow stone emerges directly from the water. At times it looks like snow flakes falling up. lol. This time of year it is not unusual to have a salmon fly, yellow Sally, Caddis, and PMD all crawling on your arms at the same time. Absolutely awesome after fishing #26 midges all winter!

I'm glad to see the return of these flows but fishing will be "slow" until the flows stabilize. Focus on tailouts and the banks. Dry/dropper ran down the bank can be productive. As usual, the big guys prefer the dropper. Streamers and soft hackles swung through the tail outs can produce large fish. Heavy tippets on these guys as fish hit them with purpose. Evenings are best as the insects return to lay eggs. So pack a lunch, water filter, and versatile boxes and.....

Rip some lips,
SlabSeeker

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
What is normal flow on the lower Taylor?

The Ark is over 5000cfs. That's dangerous!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I researched it a bit. I guess 900fps is fast for the lower Taylor. I always thought that river moved pretty good, but maybe not. The damn release must keep it pretty slow normally.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It hit a record around 1500cfs. "Normal" spring flow for the Taylor 300-900 depending on snow but usually very short time at any high level, 500 is moving.
I'm banking on the high flow pushing some of the "never seen" monsters out of the dam pool. I've landed a couple just over 30" but I know there are some even BIGGER.

I did drive through the Ark. canyon and it was way up but I've seen that river get absolutely scary high. I remember when they shut down rafting through Browns Park, one day after our trip. Many years ago though, 92 I think? When I was a kid, a car in front of us drove straight into river during the spring. It just disappeared in the muddy water. I learned later an old lady had a heart attack.
My buddy said that even the Dream Stream was high, but as he hasn't fished it much so I don't what he is calling "high".

Here's a colorful spot and catch from last March.
https://youtu.be/UyXjpwZdDjQ

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
it was closed last weekend. At least driving to it. you could park at the bridge and walk up. alot of water there on fri. the 2 culverts next to the bridge were about two feet under water on fri and by sat afternoon about two feet of the culverts were above water.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was closed last weekend. At least driving to it. you could park at the bridge and walk up. alot of water there on fri. the 2 culverts next to the bridge were about two feet under water on fri and by sat afternoon about two feet of the culverts were above water.
This is exactly what my buddy said. Must have been there at the same time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts