Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas-
I'm wondering if any of you has ever fished on the Gunnison River below Morrow Point Dam? Anything you can tell me about the fishery (fish species and size, etc.) would be much appreciated. Trying to determine if this place is worth a look this weekend. Doug

·
Registered
22 Posts
Actually you will need to go down below Crystal Res that is just below Marrow Point. There is a drive down to get to the river it is the start to the Black Canyon. Check for road conditions as no trailers allowed due to the extreme grade. There is a tent only camp ground at the bottom. I have fished it at least once a year and usually do well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ChrisS-
Thanks for the response. You are referring to the East Portal area of the Black Canyon. I've fished that a few times. The area that I'm interested in is upstream of that, at the base of Morrow Point Dam and above Crystal Reservoir. Doug

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Morrow has nice(12+") fish. Browns Rainbows Kokes and suckers for sure. Put and take section of river. Great views of the Black. Small section. Flows vary due to electricity needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.