Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been experimenting all summer with different rods to use with leadcore. I would find ones that could absorb eight colors of lead but the tips weren't limber enough to my liking. Limber rods would bow from the weight of eight 7-8 colors. I was unhappy with every planer board rod I tried with lead!

I saw a In-fisherman where one of the guides were using the new Ugly Stick GX2 rods and they looked interesting. Saw some at BPS a month ago and bought some. They are perfect for leadcore! They are sturdier in the butt section than regular Ugly Sticks and don't bow, but the tips are still light and let you know when you have a small eye or perch (dragger). That way you don't drag them around for a half hour unknowingly:mad: I am seeing most of my strikes before the clicker even sounds off. They also are affordable at $39.99!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I have used the standard ugly sticks for trolling with lead for YEARS... and def with planer boards. Also, I use the clip on planer boards (small ones) with tons of lead and sending them waaaay wide. I think the action is perfect and the main reason I stuck with them was their ability to do everything I need. Not sure what the GX2 is or if it improved the original by a ton, but I am sure the rods are similar to the OG. I still have the original 2 that I bought in 1995. I added one more as well. Also, I have accidentally had the drag pinned with 15lb fluoro leader and had the rods bend so far, I thought for sure they would break... not even close.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used the standard ugly sticks for trolling with lead for YEARS... and def with planer boards. Also, I use the clip on planer boards (small ones) with tons of lead and sending them waaaay wide. I think the action is perfect and the main reason I stuck with them was their ability to do everything I need. Not sure what the GX2 is or if it improved the original by a ton, but I am sure the rods are similar to the OG. I still have the original 2 that I bought in 1995. I added one more as well. Also, I have accidentally had the drag pinned with 15lb fluoro leader and had the rods bend so far, I thought for sure they would break... not even close.
Just pick up one and you will see what I mean. I got the 7' MH. I only run lead on my inside rods, so I have no need for longer rods. I still like the 8' BPS planer rods with boards.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Do the bps rods handle lead well?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I will have to try them. I am currently using Cabelas Downrigger rods 8'6" and they do ok for me but I would like a more sensitive tip. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My II Cents

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of rods I have never been happy with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently used an Ugly Stik Catfish for trolling and thought it had all the good qualities you are talking about for the Ugly Stik GX2. I looked both rods up on the Shakespeare website and they are two different rods. Think there's much difference?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I like I said earlier they are perfect if you don't need a long rod? I use my leadcore to track exactly where my boat is, so I can use shorter rods on the inside. I use longer planer boards on the outside to pull my boards. Everybody has their own way of doing things that they like. I had a customer really like them and ask where he could buy some for his boat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Neal - Are you sure you aren't talking about the Ugly Stik Catfish instead of the Ugly Stik GX2? The Catfish rod is white, the GX2 is black. At least that's what their website shows. I thought the Catfish is what I say on your boat.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Neal - Are you sure you aren't talking about the Ugly Stik Catfish instead of the Ugly Stik GX2? The Catfish rod is white, the GX2 is black. At least that's what their website shows. I thought the Catfish is what I say on your boat.
No they say GX2 on the rods. I know they use to make a white Catfish/striper rod. We use to use them in for stripers in North Carolina.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
So you don't ever run lead on your planers?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
No I use snap weights if I need added depth? But I know how deep all my cranks run on the line counters and just add a snap if need be.
Is there any advantage to the snap weights? I run lead on my planers, but have zero experience with snap weights. Which ones do you use?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there any advantage to the snap weights? I run lead on my planers, but have zero experience with snap weights. Which ones do you use?
Offshore brand. Allows me to use smaller reels and most of my outside lines are set for suspended fish anyway.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My nephew who fishes lake Erie a lot told me about the GX 2s a couple of years ago.He is friends with a group of guides out there and they turned him onto them.I'm still fishing with my eagle claw grangers from 2001 and a couple of depthmaster rods.Been trying to upgrade all of my rods to get away from ceramic guides.Had to many guides crack and destroy some expensive line.I think the GX has steel guides, at least they use to not sure now. I forgot about these rods till Neal brought them up.Thanks Neal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the review Neil, I'll be giving these a try. I am needing to set up a couple more lead combos, I have been using the Okuma lead core combos (junk) and ruined the gears out of both reels pulling spinner rigs through the trees at Big Mac this summer. I fished Eerie this fall with a couple pros pre-fishing for the MWC finals and was surprised to see they were using Ugly Stik rods.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts