Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hackle shortage has hit me and I need a good online source. It's too hard to find here and I can't find ANY colors... arrrg!

So anybody know a good cheap site that has good selection still?

S

·
0 Posts
Everyone is out. Gotta wait for the chicks to grow into roosters.... 2012 is the next time you'll see any quantity again. The planet got bought out. There are a finite number of chickens that the hackle is harvested from, theres never been such demand.

SOME shops have a few grizzly saddles under the counter - get some dye and do what you can. For the most part - theres simply nothing left but browns and other plain hair colors - no grizzly in any color.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Send your Western Union Money order to the following Nigerian address........ >:D

I'm sorry - just had to do that!

Bob

S

·
0 Posts
:D :D

Ive got 3 Whiting Bronze Grade full grizzly saddles, thinking about doing some custom dying and parting one of them out...... we'll see...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I have sold a ton of feathers lately that I aquired in a trade... I can't believe how much I have made... And I have doubled my amount of tying feathers... got a great grizzly saddle that I just use markers on for colors... I would hate to need that stuff right now... nearly every item I sold was bought by a hair stylist or artist.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I saw a young woman in the store over the weekend with likely the equivalent of my mortgage in those accursed hair extensions. Ditzy blonde had what seemed like a full Whiting 100 pack in her stylish locks. Grrrr. That's a lotta flies, princess. And she's the kind of girl who would be impossible to go do anything in the outdoors with, anyway, fellas... one of those 'I broke a nail' types...

Well, maybe you could go after her with a scissors and get some of those feather things out of her hair... that's an idea... oh, honey, just hold still while I yank these things out of your hair... finally, a real use for a trophy wife!

Yeah, this is SO not cool in my book... :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I stopped into a local shop that has a stock of hackle in a lot of varieties. It's in Boulder, and that's the heart of the stylist craze. Anyway, there were 2 chicks that had no interest in tying hovering around the hackle, and another that walked in with the same intent. Now, since supply and demand is what it is, each saddle/cape is from $200 to $250 each!! One of the stylists had the nerve to try and argue with the poor owner that he's charging too much and trying to rip her off, and how she wasted her time driving from Denver......blah blah blah.

Anyhoo, he stood there and took her lashing, much to his credit he just said that's what it's going for now. I was kinda fuming (at the nerve of the stylist), and thought about letting her know what the hairstylist is doing to the tyer, but I didn't. Just crazy to think last year how 'cheap' $90 was for a nice saddle/cape.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
720fly said:
price of $2.95 flies are going to be $20.00 pretty soon
Ya think? If you link onto Charlie's Flybox online store... note... he'll sell you hackle if you tie flies... not hair extensions...

This just *so* rubs me the wrong way.... wasn't so long ago that Whiting was sending out cards with their pro staff to sell rooster *mounts*... can't imagine what they go for now...

S

·
0 Posts
most shops are turning tail now and siding with the tyers, so if you ask - they will still sell them to the tyer at the normal price and the stylists can shop elsewhere.

From Charlies website - " These saddles are NOT sold for hair extensions, only real fly tyers!"

·
Registered
511 Posts
Silent_Light said:
Everyone is out. Gotta wait for the chicks to grow into roosters.... 2012 is the next time you'll see any quantity again. The planet got bought out. There are a finite number of chickens that the hackle is harvested from, theres never been such demand.

SOME shops have a few grizzly saddles under the counter - get some dye and do what you can. For the most part - theres simply nothing left but browns and other plain hair colors - no grizzly in any color.
Is this for real? The country is out of hackle b/c of hair dressers? All the chickens need to grow up? This sounds impossible, but I guess in this small industry it could happen. Seems kind of funny to me, but sux as I was going to buy my first expensive cape next month (no more random feathers from my friend)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Reality bites, man. Hair people are really scary...

Had 2 different dads come in to my store over the weekend, asking for where the "Rooster Tails" were. I took 'em to the 'Rooster Tail' section over in Fishing - and got a 'no, not to fish with, for daughters' hair...' (both had daughters with them)

I told 'em "Hairfeathers.com is the best place to go. Nobody in town has any pink, purple, blue, or any of the colors girls want. We have brown, dun, cream, and blue dun quarter saddles in fly shop, but no grizzly at all."

Sad part is that neither of these dads appeared to know anything about fishing, either... very odd at the Bass Pro Shops...

And this has been going on for months... weirdness... ::)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's been great!
I had six old, I mean old, twelve-year old Metz saddles, nothing under size 14 hooks. And I sold them for $430 bucks on Craig's List! The last girl wasn't happy about paying 100 dollars for the saddle, but she had no choice.

May I suggest you all take advantage of this time and dump your old feathers. Sure I saved a few 'strands' to weather the fad. But sell them all. Next year the fad will be OVER and life is back to normal.

***Each year genetic improvements bring longer and tighter feathers. The feathers you save today won't be as good as next year's. SO DUMP EM! :)***

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Just sold a full saddle of oragne on CL for 175 ---- ha ha low ballets on this site who offers $50

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK I'm confused. They use hackle in their hair as accessories? ??? Is it specific hackle types or do they use everything.
Luckily I have some left over from last year, so I haven’t had to buy any this year, so I did not even realize there was a shortage.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The chick that cuts my hair knows i fly fish and tie. She offered to trade me the bottom half of my saddle for the upper part of her saddle. Apparently the smaller/shorter feathers we use aren't sufficient for hair extensions.

She did have tons of pheasant which I don't see selling too well. She also mentioned that she needed pink and purple. Now that's how you make money. die your hackles and sell them for twice as much.

I can't believe my half saddle would go for over $100.00 that's ridiculous.

S

·
0 Posts
COCarp said:
The chick that cuts my hair knows i fly fish and tie. She offered to trade me the bottom half of my saddle for the upper part of her saddle. Apparently the smaller/shorter feathers we use aren't sufficient for hair extensions.

She did have tons of pheasant which I don't see selling too well. She also mentioned that she needed pink and purple. Now that's how you make money. die your hackles and sell them for twice as much.

I can't believe my half saddle would go for over $100.00 that's ridiculous.
Bet she had a nice "saddle" >:D

Im still sittin on 2 full Bronze Grizzly Saddles, tempting to dye a bunch and sell em.... my heart just isn't into it....yet. Gonna wait till they hit $300 :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
So as of this morning, my faith has been restored. Some fly shops know how to treat a long term customer right. Thanks to the shop who shall remain nameless. As tempting as it is to sell a few feathers right now and cover my expenses....I just can't participate in that and sleep tonight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts