Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, I am new here, long time fly fisherman. Thought I would break the ice with a little story of this weekend while I was fishing with my friend.

We were fishing this hole on the South Platte and we were sitting on 1 fish each at the moment. Was pretty slow for this part of the river that day. We were fishing with this guy that really didnt know what he was doing, we just met him there and let him fish with us, its a big hole, no need to be hogs. Well, around 11 here comes this oriental guy holding his hands behind his back with a flyrod in one of them.

The guy that we were fishing with went over to him, shook his hand and said "hey man what is your name?" the guy replied "Rim" and went back to watching the hole we were fishing, just walking up and down and staring into it. I told him that he was welcome to fish there if he wanted. He looked up and said "oh! thank you!" yet continued to look into the pool. I asked what he had on and he replied "a small midgey pattern and an RS2" that got me thinking...

He finally got his line in the water and w/in a minute *BAM* he had a fish on, he quickly landed and released it. then, another 2 minutes and *BAM* he gets another fish, this one was a nicer one, about 18" he lets that one go and I tell him "wow! you are a really great fisherman!" and he just replied with a smile "oh no!! thats just lucky!!" then he thanks me quite a bit for allowing me to fish the hole and he leaves.

I turn to my buddy and say "Kevin, in a matter of 3 minutes, we just got out butts handed to us by Rim Chung, the INVENTOR of the RS2!!"

LMAO!!! it was awesome!!! I really wish I wasnt on the other side of the river so I could have met him. he seems like a really nice guy!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Great story! Rim Chung would be at the top of my list of fly fishers to meet. Thanks for posting your encounter! John

·
Registered
164 Posts
Great Story.... Wish I had been there to see it... ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
Firstly, thanks for mentioning the RS2 Home page (http://home.att.net/~ferenc/). It's been there
since 1998 and I know it needs to be updated Now that I have access to more space,
I'm thinking of adding a video of him tying his fly along with his commentary. I'll also update
the page with some corrections. For example, the store Rim worked at before has been closed
for a while now.

In all the years I've known Rim, my admiration for him has only increased. He's a great
fisherman. And I don't just mean that he catches a lot of fish. I witnessed him yield productive
spots to total strangers who were struggling at a nearby spot. I also saw him notice a novice
fisherman (fisherlady?) not doing well on the Platte, he walked up to her, engaged her in a
conversation, checked her rig and fixed it, gave her some advice on technique and where to
fish, then wished her luck and walked away. When I first met him, he listed some of his
favorite spots to me on the Platte. How many of us are that generous?

He fishes with "expert" and novice fishermen alike--preferring good company over other
considerations.

Rim is one of those guys that could get very good at pretty much anything they do.
Skeptical? He won trophies at skeet shooting tournaments. He won a Go Tournament in
Denver just recently--not bad for a 70+ year old man. And I could go on here...

If I'm not boring you all, here's one of my favorite stories of him, which ties in with the
story above:

Rim and I walked along the Platte one day near Trumbull. He stopped and looked
into the river and said: "Look at all the fish down there!" (Clearly, this was before
the Hayman fire ruined the river.) I also looked and saw no fish. When I told him
this, he looked at me and teased me about how a young guy like me could be so
blind. Then he asked me: "Are you looking for fish shapes in the river?" I said "Yes."
He asked me not to look for any shapes in the river--just see whatever was there.
I cleared my mind and did what he told me. Within a few seconds the fish appeared...
many of them. I was astonished. It seems the problem was that my brain
was searching for particular shapes in the river and these shapes were not there.
When I removed the "filter" I imposed on my brain, it was able to discern shapes on
its own.

Regards
Ferenc

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I hear the Rim Chung story on the South Platte over and over again. He seems to appear out of nowhere giving advice to anglers, with a religious devotion to the RS2 (almost the only fly he uses I am told). His skill is legendary.

I'm sure we'll hear stories of bumping into a mysterious Asian gentleman on the South Platte for the next 200 years. The ghost of Rim Chung will become a legend along that river long after he has departed from this earth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi

I posted this on another thread, but I thought it would be relevant here also:

Rim Chung mentioned to me that Pat Dorsey (The Blue Quill Angler, Evergreen, CO)
was thinking of asking him to give a presentation on how to tie the RS2. I've seen
Rim at such presentations and he can be asked pretty much any question on
tying or technique. If you gentlemen are interested, then perhaps you can
contact the above mentioned fly shop and encourage Pat to schedule the presentation
soon.

I'm sure you won't regret going.

Regards
Ferenc

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we already had on RS2's... thats what the funny thing was... is that we had been fishing that hole all day with them, and here he comes, and *BAM BAM* two fish!! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts