Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
688 Posts
should the ham be on the hook in strips, cubes, should  I pour a little glaze on it. Or maybe some gravy but then that brings up the question of light or dark gravy or maybe I shoud wipe a little sweet potatoe onit or maybe mashed. This is gettin way to confusing. I think I'll just drop invitations thruogh the hole and invite em to thanksgiving dinner! ;D

· Registered
935 Posts
afishman said:
no just a salmon fillet
Don't want to be a Debbie downer, but you should check the regs on that - it's probably illegal to use salmon for bait. I once used pyloric caeca (part of the gut) of a lake trout I caught, when I ran out of sucker, and a game warden told me that wasn't kosher.

· Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
should the ham be on the hook in strips, cubes, should I pour a little glaze on it. Or maybe some gravy but then that brings up the question of light or dark gravy or maybe I shoud wipe a little sweet potatoe onit or maybe mashed. This is gettin way to confusing. I think I'll just drop invitations thruogh the hole and invite em to thanksgiving dinner!
If you really want to know I was told to use thin slices of black forest ham, balled up on a weighted treble hook and jigged.

· Registered
935 Posts
afishman said:
it was not a kokanee fillet so i don't see it being a problem
According to regs, only "minnows, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt" may be "caught and used" for bait, whether dead or alive. Not sure if they would be sticklers over whether the salmon was caught in Colorado, as they also classify "human food" as bait in another section...

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Cutthroat said:
afishman said:
it was not a kokanee fillet so i don't see it being a problem
According to regs, only "minnows, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt" may be "caught and used" for bait, whether dead or alive. Not sure if they would be sticklers over whether the salmon was caught in Colorado, as they also classify "human food" as bait in another section...
This is a new regulation this year... so it depends how they enforce it, they may just warn you at first or early in the year.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Cutthroat said:
Actually, this reg was in place last year, too.
Here is the regulation from last year:
(b) The only fish species that can be taken and/or used for consumption or personal use as bait (alive or dead) by seining, netting, trapping or dipping are minnows (except in ?c? below), bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegill and yellow perch. It is illegal to take, possess or harvest for private or commercial use as bait threatened or endangered species or species listed as nongame in wildlife regulations. See #5 and 6 below for a list of these species.
So according to the regulation if you took other species not listed on this list with worms or lures or fly you could use them as bait.

This is the regulation this year:
(b) The only species that can be taken and/or used for consumption or personal use as bait (alive or dead) by fishing, seining, netting, trapping or dipping are: minnows (except in ?c? below), bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegill and yellow perch. It is illegal to take, have or take for private or commercial use as bait: mollusks; threatened or endangered species; or species listed as nongame in wildlife regulations. See 5 and 6 below for a list of these species.
Its a "Grey area" because it still doesnt say purchasing at the local grocery store in there either.

· Premium Member
4,368 Posts
ePiC said:
Cutthroat said:
(b) The only fish species that can be taken and/or used for consumption or personal use as bait (alive or dead) by seining, netting, trapping or dipping are minnows (except in ?c? below), bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegill and yellow perch. It is illegal to take, possess or harvest for private or commercial use as bait threatened or endangered species or species listed as nongame in wildlife regulations. See #5 and 6 below for a list of these species.
So according to the regulation if you took other species not listed on this list with worms or lures or fly you could use them as bait.

(b) The only species that can be taken and/or used for consumption or personal use as bait (alive or dead) by fishing, seining, netting, trapping or dipping are: minnows (except in ?c? below), bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegill and yellow perch. It is illegal to take, have or take for private or commercial use as bait: mollusks; threatened or endangered species; or species listed as nongame in wildlife regulations. See 5 and 6 below for a list of these species.
Its a "Grey area" because it still doesnt say purchasing at the local grocery store in there either.
Actually Epic, I think its pretty black and white. The source of the bait is not important. If anything the language in the rule is redundant since they use the word "have". So reading the rule as it is written and as a court would (in my opinion) interpret it is you cannot even possess the items listed as prohibited or are not on the acceptable list.

Not to rain on anyones parade but a lot of folks use mussels for wipers, the way I read the rule mussels are illegal since they are mollusks.

Dan

PS wouldn't it be nice if the regs were written nice and clearly!

· Registered
72 Posts
I just want to go on record as a believer that Ham, Spam and Hot Dogs could work.

About 10 years ago I fished down just below the dam at Granby where there is a pond attached to the river.  We were there about 2 weeks after the lake had iced off and there was a dead cow elk just under water on the edge of that pond.  She was pretty rottin and the water was crystal clear.  I saw lots of 16 inch browns come up out of that deep hole and eat chunks out of that elk.  I was there for 3 hours and they kept it up the whole time I was there.

I'm not sure I would have believed it if I hadn't seen it, and I'm glad my buddy from Empire was there to witness it.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
LazyDave said:
I just want to go on record as a believer that Ham, Spam and Hot Dogs could work.

About 10 years ago I fished down just below the dam at Granby where there is a pond attached to the river.  We were there about 2 weeks after the lake had iced off and there was a dead cow elk just under water on the edge of that pond.  She was pretty rottin and the water was crystal clear.  I saw lots of 16 inch browns come up out of that deep hole and eat chunks out of that elk.  I was there for 3 hours and they kept it up the whole time I was there.

I'm not sure I would have believed it if I hadn't seen it, and I'm glad my buddy from Empire was there to witness it.
I wonder if they were eating chunks on purpose or if they were targeting the insects and worms that were decomposing the animal, and then eating chunks at the saem time.

G

·
LazyDave said:
  I saw lots of 16 inch browns come up out of that deep hole and eat chunks out of that elk.  I was there for 3 hours and they kept it up the whole time I was there.
That's why the Flesh Fly workso well for the big Alaska rainbows. It mimics/suggests the chunks of decaying salmon flesh drifting down the river.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Dan said:
ePiC said:
Cutthroat said:

Actually Epic, I think its pretty black and white. The source of the bait is not important. If anything the language in the rule is redundant since they use the word "have". So reading the rule as it is written and as a court would (in my opinion) interpret it is you cannot even possess the items listed as prohibited or are not on the acceptable list.

Not to rain on anyones parade but a lot of folks use mussels for wipers, the way I read the rule mussels are illegal since they are mollusks.

Dan

I asked Gary Dowler of the DOW about this and this is the response I got....
Your interpretation of the new regulation is, for the most part, correct. You cannot collect mollusks from any waters in the State of Colorado, for any use (personal consumption or use as bait). This doesn?t mean you can?t use mollusks for bait, as long as they were purchased from another source i.e. the grocery store.

Gary Dowler

Colorado Division of Wildlife
Wildlife Manager III (Aquatic)
4255 Sinton Road
Colorado Springs, CO. 80907
(719) 227-5224

· Premium Member
4,368 Posts
ePiC said:
Dan said:
ePiC said:
Cutthroat said:

Dan

I asked Gary Dowler of the DOW about this and this is the response I got....
Your interpretation of the new regulation is, for the most part, correct. You cannot collect mollusks from any waters in the State of Colorado, for any use (personal consumption or use as bait). This doesn?t mean you can?t use mollusks for bait, as long as they were purchased from another source i.e. the grocery store.

Gary Dowler

Colorado Division of Wildlife
Wildlife Manager III (Aquatic)
4255 Sinton Road
Colorado Springs, CO. 80907
(719) 227-5224
Ok, hopefully my last word here.  Perhaps that is the intent of the regulation and they meant to allow you to buy mussels at the grocery store.  But I think a the way it is written and the way it would most likely be interpreted by a court is possession is illegal. And if someone writes you a ticket for having mussels its not their intepretion of he reg but the interpretation of a court that determines exactly what it means

It is illegal to take, have or take for private or commercial use as bait: mollusks;
So be careful. maybe carrying a copy of that email explaining the interpretation might be beneficial. But there is no guarantee of that either.

Dan

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.