Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts
G

·
Dan said:
Perhaps that is the intent of the regulation and they meant to allow you to buy mussels at the grocery store.  But I think a the way it is written and the way it would most likely be interpreted by a court is possession is illegal.  And if someone writes you a ticket for having mussels its not their intepretion of he reg but the interpretation of a court that determines exactly what it means

It is illegal to take, have or take for private or commercial use as bait: mollusks;
So be careful.  maybe carrying a copy of that email explaining the interpretation might be beneficial.  But there is no guarantee of that either.

Dan
I think you're right Dan. The wording appears to ban possession of mollusks for use as bait, regardless of where or how you acquired them.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Don In Denver said:
Dan said:
Perhaps that is the intent of the regulation and they meant to allow you to buy mussels at the grocery store. But I think a the way it is written and the way it would most likely be interpreted by a court is possession is illegal. And if someone writes you a ticket for having mussels its not their intepretion of he reg but the interpretation of a court that determines exactly what it means

It is illegal to take, have or take for private or commercial use as bait: mollusks;
So be careful. maybe carrying a copy of that email explaining the interpretation might be beneficial. But there is no guarantee of that either.

Dan
I think you're right Dan. The wording appears to ban possession of mollusks for use as bait, regardless of where or how you acquired them.
All I can tell you is I asked a DOW officer about it, he said you can still fish it if you bought it from the store, you just couldnt take it from our water systems... I'm pretty sure Gary is one of the Senior Wildlife Managers as well.
As I was telling PuebloWiperMan at the get together the regulations have a lot of "grey areas", and I am 99.9% sure that if I produce the email for court interpetation it would be dropped, if ticketed for it.

· Registered
935 Posts
I agree. The regs are not always clearly and simply stated, and in addition, you have different reg related to the same subject in more tha one place, so you have to look at all the regs to put all the pieces together.

· Registered
288 Posts
I would venture to guess that mussels from the store would be a quite expensive bait option, legal or not. Next we'll be tyin' spawn sacs with caviar. I think I will stick with trying part of my sandwich for lakers. I can't seem to catch them on anything else. Do ya think they might like turkey?

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Kitchenmonkey said:
I would venture to guess that mussels from the store would be a quite expensive bait option, legal or not. Next we'll be tyin' spawn sacs with caviar. I think I will stick with trying part of my sandwich for lakers. I can't seem to catch them on anything else. Do ya think they might like turkey?
Cost about the same as a dozen night cralwers.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.