Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a fast cutting hand auger...My cousin and I have been using a 6" in mora and it's hell....

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
fishinguitars said:
Any suggestions on a fast cutting hand auger...My cousin and I have been using a 6" in mora and it's hell....
Went to that BPS seminars on Saturday they have a hand auger there for 80$ by strike masters that the way the angle is and the type of blades it has will cut threw ice like it was butter. I havent personally used it but they seemed pretty confident in it.
I have a couple I need new blades for but, I'm going to win 2nd on the WSA hardwater challenge and win the gas auger they have. :p

·
Registered
935 Posts
My 6" mora cuts faster than a barber on speed. Have you tried new blades? Otherwise, I have cut with an 8" Strikemaster Lazer that really dug in fast. It was just too hard to turn, and got stuck a fair amoung. A 6" lazer is probably a fairly quick choice. No matter what you go with, you'll save yourself a lot of energy with a double-offset handle - I promise.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stay with the strikemaster line, either lazser or mora. have extra blades or keep the orginal sharp! these are the best hand auger made.
by all means, do not buy an eskimo auger from sportsmans warehouse - they suck and for slightly more you can own one of the strikemaster products.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sounds like dull blades, FG. We use an 8" Mora and it cuts pretty clean and fast provided the blades are sharp. After the day is over, I always spray a lot of WD-40 all over the blades before I put it away. Keeps dirt, rust, and other crap from shortening the blade life.

Haven't tried the double-offset handled augers yet. They sound pretty good, though. If I see anyone using them on the ice this year, I'll have to mosey over and check it out.

PS... don't try to re-drill a previous hole. I always try to cut a hole into some clean, clear ice whenever possible. This will help extend blade life. (Learned that one the hard way ::) )

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
The best hand auger is a Jiffy 3 hp 10" bit, cuts lick a dream. Also the roar of the engine and smelling the 2 stroke really gets you stoked up to fish. The only thing a hand auger will get you is a ashtma or heart attack .

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how long do the blades usually last...assuming they are taken care of properly....

·
Registered
862 Posts
ePiC said:
fishinguitars said:
Went to that BPS seminars on Saturday
which one did u goto Epic (seminar)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Me Ken and Zman were at all of them Saturady.

·
Registered
862 Posts
oh thats cool i really really wanted to go to atleast one of them as well i wouldve liked to goto all of em but some things came up...... :'(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi , I'M new to this site looks like you guys know what's going on.Check out the craigs list if your looking for a hand auger.I saw one on there today for $25.00. Look in the sporting goods or ice fishing. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
935 Posts
dante said:
Haven't tried the double-offset handled augers yet.  They sound pretty good, though.  If I see anyone using them on the ice this year, I'll have to mosey over and check it out.
You have to buy the double-offset handle for Strikemaster Augers, separately from Strikemaster (their website catalog has them, and that's where I ordered mien) - they fit the lazer and mora augers - cost about $20 with shipping, or something close to that.  It was one of the best purchases I made last year, and after getting used to cranking both arms, I got used to drilling holes in up to 30" of ice by hand without too much trouble.

Trout said:
The best hand auger is a Jiffy 3 hp 10" bit, cuts lick a dream. Also the roar of the engine and smelling the 2 stroke really gets you stoked up to fish. The only thing a hand auger will get you is a ashtma or heart attack .
I've not had the asthma experience with hand augers, myself. I have found them easy to use when maintained. Not to say gas augers aren't nice, but if you have a constitution somewhat better than a marshmallow, you should be able to handle drilling holes, even deep ones with a hand auger (no offense, Trout).

Definitely keep an extra set of sharp blades on hand, and spry your blades with WD-40.  It helps.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
FG

how long do the blades usually last...assuming they are taken care of properly....
I change mine once a year...I probably dont need to but I do anyway...I have about 15 sets of old ones...I know it helps if you spray them with wd-40 but I never have...I put the gard on...dont slam it to the ice...and never cut if there is sand on the ice...that will kill them in two turns of the handle...if you have a 6 inch and it wont cut you definately need new blades...

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
No offense taken about my fitness because I'm not very fit. Just see no reason to do something manually when you can put a perfectly good motor on it to do it for you. Just a production oriented kind of guy.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Speaking only from personal experience, and only having tried an offset handle one time and not getting the hang of it, you can't go wrong with the 6" Lazer hand auger!!! I've tried the Mora (many different units) and the Lazer cuts faster; 1/2" of ice per turn of the handle to be exact. I always count the revolutions to know how thick the ice is and I measure with the handle of my skimmer that I hook on the bottom of the ice and have marked like a tape measure (good tip) and it is always a half inch per turn. Most trips we cut 25-50 holes if we are walleye fishing, sometimes we cut more! I've had my 6" Lazer for 9 seasons and have only replaced the blades 4 times, however I baby them, never slam them down, keep them clean, and NEVER use my auger at Georgetown (I use my buddies auger ;D.) I have a 8" 2hp Lazer power auger that I LOVE when the ice gets over about 8 inches or whenever we go Laker fishing, but around town it's the light weight of the hand auger for me! It's worth the extra money spent. One last tip then I'll shut up, I keep my handle short so I can lean over with my right hand on top stabilized with my right shoulder and turn the handle with my left hand, keeping the auger cutting straight and not wobbling around in the hole. This is key to cutting easily and efficiently. Just my worthless ramblings! Looney.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Trout said:
The best hand auger is a Jiffy 3 hp 10" bit, cuts lick a dream. Also the roar of the engine and smelling the 2 stroke really gets you stoked up to fish.  The only thing a hand auger will get you is a ashtma or heart attack .
[/
quote]
I'm with you on that trout, plus on the hand augers, I haven't found anywhere to mount a beerholder.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ah, yes... the beer holder....  That's what hats are for, right?

I don't know what you guys are doing wrong.  I'm not a muscleman, and I have no trouble with 24" of ice and a hand auger.  Sure, you use some energy doing it, but I've never collapsed, and if I all I wanted to do was relax out there, I'd mount skis on a recliner and drag it out there with me.

Not that I wouldn't use a gas auger, if I had one, but I don't have so much trouble with a well-maintained hand auger to warrant buying one. Just cause it's physically easier, doesn't mean it's the way to go. I crack up when I see guys bring their huge gas augers out and drill through 10" of ice - what a waste.

Besides, I'm helping decrease our dependence on foreign oil! :)

Plus, my drill setup saves me a lot of energy, most days.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'M RIGHT THERE WITH U CUTT I LOVE MY HAND AUGER AND I WILL NEVER SPEND THE MONEY FOR A GAS AUGER ITS WORTHLESS. EVEN ON 2.5 FT OF ICE I HAVE NO PROB GOING THROUGH AND I SMOKE A PACK A DAY AND LAZY TO BOOT!!! I'D RATHER SPEND MY MONEY ON SMOKES OR BEER RATHER THAN DROP A COUPLE HUNDRED FOR WHAT TO MAKE IT EASYIER. I GAURENTEE MY 6" HAND AUGER CAN DRILL THROUGH 2.5 FEET OF ICE FASTER THAN ANY GAS AUGER THAT I'VE SEEN ANYWAY. JUST MY OPINION THOUGH!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts