Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
16,819 Posts
LUNKERLAKER said:
I'M RIGHT THERE WITH U CUTT I LOVE MY HAND AUGER AND I WILL NEVER SPEND THE MONEY FOR A GAS AUGER ITS WORTHLESS. EVEN ON 2.5 FT OF ICE I HAVE NO PROB GOING THROUGH AND I SMOKE A PACK A DAY AND LAZY TO BOOT!!!  I'D RATHER SPEND MY MONEY ON SMOKES OR BEER RATHER THAN DROP A COUPLE HUNDRED FOR WHAT TO MAKE IT EASYIER.  I GAURENTEE MY 6" HAND AUGER CAN DRILL THROUGH 2.5 FEET OF ICE FASTER THAN ANY GAS AUGER THAT I'VE SEEN ANYWAY.  JUST MY OPINION THOUGH!!

But it didn't catch you any more fish though!! OOOHHHHH! ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
NO EXCUSES I KNOW BUT THAT WAS ONLY THE SECOND AND MAYBE THE LAST FOR RAINBOWS. I THINK I MIGHT STICK TO WHAT I'M GOOD AT FOR NOW!! DRILLIN WITH A 6" HAND AUGER AND CATCHIN SOME LAKERS!!!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Lunker,

Isn't 6" is a little small for lakers? I consider an 8" diameter hole the minumum size for many of the mountain lakes thats a 25 inch circumference. The girth of a 20 lb laker will approach that of an 8" hole. Yeah, you can squeeze bigger fish through a smaller hole, if you have a good hold on them, but even big rainbows will have a girth larger than 19 inches the circumference of a 6" hole.

T

·
Registered
935 Posts
TAL0362 said:
Lunker,

Isn't 6" is a little small for lakers?   I consider an 8" diameter hole the minumum size for many of the mountain lakes thats a 25 inch circumference.   The girth of a 20 lb laker will approach that of an 8" hole.  Yeah, you can squeeze bigger fish through a smaller hole, if you have a good hold on them, but even big rainbows will have a girth larger than 19 inches the circumference of a 6" hole.

T
Perhaps it's testament to my lack of fishing skill, but I haven't caught any lakers that wouldn't fit through a 6" hole, yet. If I started catching bigger fish, I would probably just get an 8" hand auger, stick with my double-offset handle, and keep the blades sharp.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Not trying to upset all you tri-athelete hand auger users out there just having some fun. I enjoy the power auger because its just another toy to mess with, same as my boat, portable shelter etc. Also I don't have fun fishing through a D size battery hole. Lunker wheren't you using the holes from the whothless 10" power auger last saturday J/K if you make it Saturday again I will have holes waiting for you if Slayer is not using them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I DIDN'T MEAN THAT GAS AUGERS ARE WORTHLESS ITS JUST WORTHLESS TO ME TO SPEND HARD EARNED MONEY ON A TOY THAT DOES THE SAME THING AS MY HAND AUGER I DON'T EVEN MAKE ENOUGH TO PAY ALL MY BILLS RIGHT NOW SO MAYBE IF I HAD MONEY TO THROW ARROUND MAYBE THINGS WOULD BE DIFFERENT. BESIDES I LIKE MY D SIZED HOLE!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
i don't want to hear about your d sized hole ;D

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Hey Slayer,

Since you are a nuclear physicist, do you think you could rig us up a portable device that would cut through ice like butter? I was thinking about a lump of plutonium on a string. Maybe you could make some auger blades out of plutonium. Or maybe on a mini particle beam or something. That would be really cool ;D

·
Registered
935 Posts
Rumor has it he already has such a device, but there are some... well, side effects of using it.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The real problem is handling all that lead shielding -- your equipment sled just might take you straight to the bottom!

And before you try it -- make sure you have all the kids you ever want to have, first!

The best solution: "Use the Force, Luke!"

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Guys,

I'm not sure alpha, beta particles or gamma rays will melt ice. And they are not too good for people. My understanding is that it is the fission or fussion reaction that releases heat and emmits the particles/rays, get it to work though, the ad might go "Chernobol on ice is nice".

I think a better design would be lazer. The unit might be a little heavy to carry today, but look at what has happened to tubes/transisters.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I like the idea of using a light saber.

Not only can you use it to cut holes, you can clean and cook your fish in one swift motion.

Dan

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yeah, you know...  Slayer's fishing skills seem unquestionable, but with that fluorescent glow he's taken on recently, I'm not sure I trust his nuclear physics skills.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Dan said:
I like the idea of using a light saber.

Not only can you use it to cut holes, you can clean and cook your fish in one swift motion.

Dan
You might as well just put on a propeller beanie.

·
Registered
935 Posts
We'd surely never miss each other when we're out fishing with those.... and in a pinch, they could probably be used as crube buzz baits or something.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts