Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Maybe we could all start a service where we put a satellite up in space with a laser. People could call in and supply GPS coordinates where they want a hole in the ice drilled (make sure you step away from your coordinates though). We'd need Slayer's help of course.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
My understanding is that it is the fission or fussion reaction that releases heat and emmits the particles/rays, get it to work though, the ad might go "Chernobol on ice is nice".
Great idea Terre!!!...

We could call it "Fission for Fishin"...

Dan with a propeller beanie?!...I gotta find him one for Eleven Mile...we strap it to his head and wait for the inevitable South Park wind...See Ya!!!...when fishing gets slow we tie a line to his belt loop and take turns fighting him in...and then we practice what we preach with selective harvest...let him go and someone else gets to fight him in!...

I dont think Slayer has an auger...the shades come off...the alien death ray comes out of his eyes to cut the ice...Ken may not have to bring his grill if Slayer has a variable power setting!...

·
Registered
935 Posts
There are already some portable plasma lazers someone can try.  There are kits to build them at the following web site, as well as kits to build various other things, including fishing aids.  Oh, and a light saber for Dan (they're on sale) - sorry, no propeller beanies.

http://www.amazing1.com/

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Dan with a propeller beanie?!...I gotta find him one for Eleven Mile...we strap it to his head and wait for the inevitable South Park wind...See Ya!!!...when fishing gets slow we tie a line to his belt loop and take turns fighting him in...and then we practice what we preach with selective harvest...let him go and someone else gets to fight him in!...

"Ha ha you funny!"  (Hamchop in the movie the Green Berets)

Dan

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
For most situations here in colorado a hand auger is just fine, as long as you have sharp blades.

As for LL : there's no way you could drill 4 holes thru 24in. of ice faster than my power auger! Now, I'm not discounting hand augers at all, in fact it's what I use most of the year. But if you have to cut lots of holes, threw think ice, it's the only way to go.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I can do one hole faster than most gas augers in 24" when I have sharp blades. Mostly, in thick ice, I use my drill setup, but I've been known to drill 12-15 holes in 24-30" of ice at Chambers during a day (and live to tell about it). I need rest with a gas auger doesn't. I also usually don't need to drill more than 4 holes, because where I fish, thats all you need to produce lots of fish. If I was looking for a school of perch, I'd have to drill more, but most of the perch lakes in this are never get more than 8" of ice, so the hand auger isn't a problem at all.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've never had a good hand auger. I move a lot when I ice fish. I typically cut about 6 holes (3 pairs) right away. I fish those for as long as my short attention span will allow then move and cut 6 more. I'll do that all day long if I don't hit a hot spot. It is nice to have that gas auger rip thru the ice quickly to do this. John

·
Registered
935 Posts
Just as a comparison, I just saw a website describing a ice auger competition. With all the augers finely tuned and sharp. The fastest stock gas augers cut three holdes in roughly 25 seconds in skilled hands. The fastest hand augers cut one hold in about 10 seconds. Both were in 18" of ice. So, the speeds are not that far apart.

It's really about how much energy you want to expend to get the hole in the ice. I've always found that drilling a bunch of holes by hand is less tiring than dragging an extra 15 lbs. of weight on the sled. Of course, I often hike in pretty far pulling a sled. I keep the hand auger sharp, and with the double-offset handle, drilling is really not very much effort at all. I can get through three to four holes in as many minutes in 2 feet of ice with my rig.

People go for gas augers when they find the effort to hand auger them is unacceptable (unless they start out with power augers). I just haven't found the effort unacceptable with my setup. Plus, I use the power drill a lot of the time.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Cutt: my Lazer Mag has only failed me once but i keep my handy hand auger with all the time just in case...Not driving all that way just to turn around!

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
I think we're comparing [email protected] to elbows! Sure if you do a lot of lakes that require trucking through the snow,then a hand job is the only way to go. If you can drive right near the spot or if the ice is slick like 11-mile,its easy to drag 100 lbs to the hole. Jeez,guys!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Cutthroat said:
Are you pulling all the weight on foot?
Cutt:

I was pulling by hand but now I have a snow machine(of course I can only use it certain places). Therefore, i agree with Slayer...it's not too bad if you can get close to a slick lake

·
Registered
935 Posts
The lakes I fish that I can also get close to don't have thick enough ice to warrant a power auger. The lakes with thick ice I fish require too long a hike on foot to drag one. If I had a snow machine, I suppose I'd probably have enough spare change around to buy that 4-stroke auger to pull it with. Essentially, a gas auger will cost as much as a snow machine, because I'll need both my longer hikes. Perhaps, if I was able to fish even MORE water even MORE often... hmmm..

41 - 54 of 54 Posts