Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we finally made it after a couple of weather delays. Dad went down on Tuesday after the big storm? ??? went down early Thursday morning. On Wednesday (Happy 65th) Dad fished from 9am-4pm at Iola boat ramp. He got 1 rainbow and 1 brown. Sorta slow. He said it got pretty wind, so he didn't stay till dark. Didn't fish on Tuesday night because of the snow and wind. When I got down to Gunnison on Thursday morning he was at the Bay of Chickens (Windsurfing area). Dad caught 3 rainbows and I got 2 browns and 4 rainbows. Only 10-20 feet off hore and in water 10-35 feet deep. Quite the dropoff. Thursday night we went back to Iola boat ramp as a guy Dad talked to said they did awesome there in the past week on lake trout. No lakers in 60 feet of water. Dad caught 0 and I got 1 rainbow and 1 brown. Friday morning we went back to the Windsurfing area, same spot as the day before. Dad got 1 brown and I got 1 rainbow and 2 browns. Tried the Elk Creek marina-Narrows area on Friday afternoon. Both days we didn't fish between noon and 2pm, no wind mid 30's and sunburn on the face. Fished in 38, 50, and 70 feet of water for lakers. Only a few nibbles. I caught a sucker and Dad got 1 rainbow, 2 perch, and a sucker. Can you say fresh bait? >:D Put both perch back as they were only 4-5 inches. Found some perch but not big enough. I went out this morning and Dad packed the camper. Back to the Windsurfing area. Was on this morning. I got 8 rainbows and 1 brown. We kept all the browns and a few rainbows. Missed a lot of hits, light biters. The lake trout bite was real light. Dad saw bighorn sheep by the middle bridge. 2-6 inches of snow on the ice All the areas we augered through had 2-2.5 feet of ice. Was some soft, slushy areas around shore and the rocky areas. The lady at the Visitor Center said the res. was 38 feet low. On the way back this afternoon between Gunnison and Monarch Pass we saw a cow drive. 10 cowboys on horses, 3 dogs, 500 cattle, 4 ranch vehicles, and 2 state patrol. A real Western cattle drive. >:D Got some pictures see if Grumpie Gills can post them soon. The ones we kept were 13-17 inches.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Most of the trout were caught on pink Slugbug, jigging a Kastmaster, green and red Scudbugs, and my new Buckshot Rattle spoon I got at Gene Taylors in Gunnison. Wax worms or nightcrawler pieces worked good. Awesome hunting/fishing store. Tried for the lake trout with tube jigs and sucker meat. Seen a bald eagle and heard the coyotes in the middle of the night as we stayed at the Elk Creek campground. Also seen about 200-300 sandhill cranes flying, once you hear that call you'll never forget it. Talked to 4 guys from Pueblo who were down for the weekend, said they were also gonna try Taylor Park Res.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Excellant title...got my attention quick, great post, honestly lookin for the pics and the rest of your crew's replies. Sounds nice.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good report, it was a real nice day out there yesterday. We had about 9 vehicles at the Dry Creek lot yesterday with peeps scattered out everywhere. Most were catching the small rainbows and a few small-medium lakers. The bite was real early on the lakers, then some browns at noon. Forty feet of water off a big rock point, jigging Raps. One big one and a break off of an even bigger one. Glad your dad got some time on the ice for his 65th and some of the those excellent eating brownies. Sounds like a real western adventure for you guys each year. 8)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice report Jeff and Happy Birthday to your dad! Sounds like you got some good fishing time in and quality time with your dad. My dad didn't make it up this weekend but hopefully he will make it this coming weekend. Looking forward to my "dad-time." :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I don't think the ice is gonna be safe much longer at Blue Mesa, Elevenmile, Antero, or anywhere else if this weather keeps up. :'( Last ice fishing trip to Elevenmile last year was April 9th. Still want to try and hit Green Mt. Res. Just sent the pictures to Patrick to post. Thanks for your computer illitirate (spell) fishing friend.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for posting the pictures Mitch. The one is Dad at the top of Monarch Pass in front of the summit house, can only see the corner of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts