Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and the wife did a bit of fishing during 2016, mostly with worms and spinners, had great fun catching various trouts in the area.

Seen enough flyfishers to make me want to do it, and after a bit of research over the winter months I took the plunge and bought a secondhand but unused Orvis Clearwater 9ft 5wt :)

Still looking for a reel the Orvis CFO III looks very pretty, and should provide good service.
What are the thoughts on multiplier reels? Seen a Orvis multiplier at much cheaper price than the CFOs go for secondhand, any opinions on how that would work for a beginner?

I'm of the mindset where I prefer to invest a little bit more than just the bare minimum to do the job, and be able to grow into the gear.

Am I going about this the right way? Any recommendations/tips?

Really looking forward to spring.

Michael

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not much feedback on the multiplier reels? in the end I got a Hardy Bros. Scientific Anglers system 6 loaded with 6wt line, from what I understand I should get away with 6wt line on a 5wt rod?

Its a good looking reel.

Michael

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I went for a Hardy reel in the end, I'm sure the Lamson would be fine, but the Hardy is Made in England which alone will make it difficult to beat.

herefishy: I'm confused now, why would they make multiplier fly reels then?

Michael

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Orvis definitely makes multiplier fly reels... or at least I know that they used to. The old school one I used back in the day was heavy due to the multiplier mechanism. All you need to know is that you do not need a multiplier whatsoever.

Sounds like you already bought a reel but Lamson is the standard. You just buy whichever model you can afford. The sealed drag resists freezing which can be common in CO.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The 6 wt line will slow down the action a bit. No really a bad thing for a beginner fly caster. You will be able to feel it load and it will be a little more forgiving.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well I went for a Hardy reel in the end, I'm sure the Lamson would be fine, but the Hardy is Made in England which alone will make it difficult to beat.

herefishy: I'm confused now, why would they make multiplier fly reels then?

Michael
Interested to hear why you would presume that an English built product is likely to be superior ?

My impression from a completely neutral position is that many UK anglers think very highly of US products, particularly the range available.

However at the end of the day, am inclined to think most of the product being sold in either country has in common, is that it has been made in Asia albeit often to prescribed quality standards.

In any event am certain you will be happy with your chosen Hardy reel & must confess to being very envious.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
As a beginner, this setup will be fine. Overloading a 5wt rod with a 6wt line as stated earlier will be more forgiving. Me personally, I would have either dropped down both by one weight, but at the end of the day, this setup is fine. As for the reel. Normally speaking, in a majority of Colorado water, the rod is more important. The size of fish here avg more on the small side. Sure there are the tail waters that have big fish, but the drag is less of a concern. Go to Alaska for salmon or saltwater for roosters and such, the reel become more important. Just my $.02. Either way, enjoy your new hobby. It's addicting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the input! looking forward to trying the rod and reel out this spring.

Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts