Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am behind times...4 days fishing this week two days at work...not enough time so my reports for the week...

Was supposed to fish Aurora for Wipers instead but Joe ran into a wild party and didnt quite make it...he actually made the right choice so I went to Harriman...tried everything...from lures to bait to jigs...from 730 am until 5pm...fish hard...caught two Northern Pike...22 inches and 26 inches...they went back...go eat some of the carp!!!...both were caught on Hotdogs (our slang term for hotdog shaped baitfish that slide down the gullet like a hotdog as opposed to a bluegill that has spines...actually used 5 inch live sucker minnows)...nothing on lures though...casted my arm off...a couple of interesting points however...the bite there has been kind of disrupted...they have brought the reservoir up 2 to 3 feet in the last week...I am wondering if it is cold water...it seems to have disrupted the fishing...I used to know where every rock was along the dam...the second item...both Northerns were hooked deep inside the mouth but not in the stomach...like 4 inches in on the roof of the mouth...I wasnt using a leader...what I was using was PowerPro 10 pound test with the two pound test line diameter...I know it had to hit those teeth...the line was not cut or frayed at all...that stuff is tough even in low diameter...it is tough to cut with the scissors on my forceps...well that is all for Harriman...

I

·
0 Posts
Zman I live right by Harriman and have only been there twice and like you casted my arm off and nothin. I dont like to be beat by a lake. So do you have any pointers for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Irishman, I live fairly close myself. I've tried it 3 different times throwing flys, spinners, top , bottom, and nothing, till i put a senko on with a slip bobber. I got a few bites , but didn't hook any. Maybe live bait is the ticket. Seams like Zman never gets skunked there. But he did spend 8 and a half hours to get 3 fish.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My son goes to school across the street and on the mornings that I waited for soccer practice to end I would fish. SKUNK! But I think that only fishing for a couple of hours in the morning in the middle of August had a lot to do with it. That or the curse.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seams like Zman never gets skunked there. But he did spend 8 and a half hours to get 3 fish.
...I get skunked often enough there...it is a strange place...the only thing I think I know for sure is they move a lot...I bet it took me 15 trips to get any consistant Saugeyes...I am not sure where they stay most of the time but it must be main lake deep water...even the bluegills in the rocks come and go...it is like there is a little pen that all the fish are locked up in and they only get out now and then...Joe and I talk about it all the time...how you can go 2 to 4 days without a hit and then the next trip it is crawling with every type of fish imagineable...all I can say is keep trying...I am using the standard stuff for the most part...Joe went 30 hours in about a week period without a hit...if that makes you feel better...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Worms, minnows, stink bait, bells, a lantern, chairs, and plenty of beer.
That's gotta be the ticket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts