Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot to post a report last week for Harriman. cant remember exact date it was, I bought a new spinning reel off ebay & had to try it out on the way back after buying line

Lots of fish jumping, couldnt tell what they were, they were on south side of lake & really close to shore, some were about 50ft out. From where i was standing it looked like the water was only a couple feet deep for 10-15 feet out

Didnt catch anything though. the dam was full of people & the wind was pretty rough, the dam was the only place to get a good cast out .. so i tried a little cove on south with tree cover

Was a nice day at least, but just as my mind went blank from daily life & was enjoying the quiet in limbo so to say ... there was a huge splash & realized  i had moss & mud on me .... wtf?

Some guy came out of nowhere yelling "im sorry" .. i still was puzzled. It finally came to me that he threw his lil dog chaser decoy toy right where i was fishing, threw it randomly over some bushes right where i was .. almost nailed me in the head too, the dog I think was smarter than the owner .. the dog could clearly see the decoy and stayed about 10 feet away from me without just jumping in the water .. was waiting for my permission i guess

the guy was cool at least & apologized more than i wanted ...  some people dont understand leash laws?

anyways, that lake has a great sunset if ya dont catch jack

what kind of fish would be jumpin out there???

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Harriman is full of carp...it is why they put the Northerns and Muskies in there...supposedly to control them...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carp in that lake?   the jumpin fish didnt look like carp, but it does go by fast unless youre really watchin .. never figured carp .. the jumpers were small tho, they wernt 20lb carps  .. big crappie/sunfish maybe? I saw plenty of sunfish jumpin in michigan

we almost started shooting carps in MI because the invasion on the great lakes. on a clear no wind day you could see em everywhere from the dock

2 fow .. first time i really saw them (when not jumpin) was when I thought i was looking at a log, then it moved, then I noticed about 15-20 others lingering around too, polarized shades helped to see them from far.   Then we were watching the news & a story came up about asian carp. the fresh fish markets apparently would throw fish into the lakes alive. and now the DNR has an electric gate into lake michigan i think to kill wanderers .... cant quite remember the whole story ,,, but they definatly are trying to control the carp pop. from spreading

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
DOGKATCHER - Them Fish jumping out are CARPs .. Them things like to show off this time of year.. I think they jump all year round.. If you could see em hit the water they are CARP.. Bass and Crappie/blue gills will just snap the water..

One thing to look for when chasing bass THIS TIME OF YEAR, When you see a swirl or a pretty big snap by shrubs or structures sticking out of the water... Its a good 15 incher..! HINT HINT .. Most BASS fishers know this already but if you dont .. Well you just picked something up from one..

Steve
monkies_butt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts