Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished harvey today. Pike are in full spawn mode. Thus, they weren't going to hit anything. Lol. I did have a small male on that for some reason hit. I still can't figure that one out. Lol. He was probably 24" and I had him hit on the pause on a gold colored jointed bomber long a. I had another small one later, like 20" or so, hit it at the boat but he got away also. I had 2 other follows. I didn't bother fishing for slimers or for crappie, but people that had tiny tube jigs under slipbobbers right near piles of brush, particularly the waterfall cove, were hammering a bunch of 5-10" crappie. But to me, that's not fun, and I'd rather cast my arms off fishing for pike and not catching any. Lol...Guess that's just me. There were probably 20 other boats throughout the course of the day also, all save 3 fishing for pike and/or bass. The other 3 were for crappie. I thought 10" stocker trout were the most popular? That still confuses me. Oh well....It was still a fun day. The water was very high and for the most part, clear. I'm not coming back here for at least another 2 weeks.

·
Registered
699 Posts
you could always come down to spinney and cast your arms off tomorrow with me and firedawg and what not lol

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be awesome but I have to go to school and to get to spinney I'd probably have to drive what, 5-6 hours? Let me know how you do though. Spinney is on the table right now, as long as the pike are biting along with the trout that is. have a good one tomorrow.

·
Registered
699 Posts
hey give a message when you come would love to get some pointers from a certified esox addict

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
azbassernco said:
you could always come down to spinney and cast your arms off tomorrow with me and firedawg and what not lol
Yeah TFB, its only like a 5hour drive man YOU CAN DO IT.

Spawning usually cycles the larger fish spawn first, this is probably why you caught a couple smaller fish. Not to worry though once they go into recovery mode from the spawn they will be eating everything they can fit in their mouths.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh yeah... it was freshly stocked with catchables and also a bunch of like 1-2" trout stocked to feed the panfish, and I'm sure the pike will have no problem finding food along with the billion crappie and perch and suckers and carp. I can't wait to fish it when it turns on...although the fish won't be the same absolute barrel shaped pike cuz they are spawned out. Thanks for the info on the spawn epic I never really knew that one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts