Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stopped at a local gravel pit after work for a few casts. Caught 3 little bass right off the bat. Made a few more casts and bam, I hook up with a pig! I only got a quick look at her (6lbs+), but you know when it's a good one. So I battle with her for a few seconds and then she's gone! I thought she broke my line but when I reeled the line in I found this!

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Here's the little ones.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Yah they keep making lures cheaper, my last trip south for saltwater fish they were ripping the hooks off and one tore the lure in half, I change out all the hooks and split rings to heavier size to land the fish there.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had this bait for a few years, I'm sure it's caught 100+ fish. Maybe it was just wore out!

·
Registered
724 Posts
That hurts!!! I have a few lures that should be tossed due to some "old/worn" issues so thx for the reminder to do so!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Maybe too much wear and tear? Maybe just put pressure on it perfectly making it break? I've seen lures get dropped on the lip and snap in two. Sucks because those rapalas seem to get more expensive by the day

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
The only experience I have had with this or heard over the rapala brand is always mentioned. Every time.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Contact Rapala....send that pic.....and say it isn't the first time. Maybe they'll send you some freebies.
That was a Risto Rap. They have not been made in well over ten years. I doubt Rapala would hook anyone up for a bait that failed after that amount of time.

I have about 40 of those baits, I love them. I have never had one fail. Guess sometimes **** happens.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've had people tell me they've had that happen. It's never happened to me personally, although I've busted the lips off many cranks bouncing em off rocks. I feel like usually rapalas are made pretty tough compared to some cranks. With enough use tho I guess anything will eventually break.... I had some spinner baits the wire had become untuned, I contacted the company via email just to offer the feedback that I'd appreciate them using a heavier wire in the construction. I just figured what the hell if they hear it from enough people maybe they'll change it... they emailed me back saying if I send the baits in they will replace free of charge... cool I'm thinking. I send em and I never got a damn thing back from them. I contacted them a couple more times, had em ask me the model again ex. Still never got a thing back in the mail. Only cost me a lil over a dollar to mail in but still pretty weak customer service!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I agree with mogul buster, worth an email with pics.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't see the need to raise a stink about it. Like I said earlier its a few years old and has caught a lot of fish. I'm pretty sure I've got my moneys worth out of it. The good thing is about 6 years ago a local hardware/sporting goods store was going out of business and I picked up a dozen or so of these for $2.50 each. I still have 3 or 4 that are unopened.

It did suck loosing that fish though...

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Happens all the time.

Where did you find Risto Raps? IF you have a bunch, you might wanna hang on to them.

(sorry if someone already mentioned it, I didn't read all the posts)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I baught a bunch years ago. Have a few left unopened. I did look on eBay last night and there a lot of new ones on there still. Hands down one of the best cranks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts