Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading up there Thursday for my birthday. Its going to be cold. Just wondering if anyone has been up there lately. If you have please let me know where you are fishing, what you are using and if you cought anything. Because If Noone has been catching anything, we will just go to a different place. Also, have you fished the stream behind it? And if you have, please let me know what you have cought, where you cought it and what you used. Thanks for reading, I just want to find this all out because I dont want to get sprayed by the ol' skunk on my 16th Birthday.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I think roadkill lives on this lake you should pm him or something... I also thought he lived on this site, figured he'd answered this first. :p (good looking out roadkill)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Could be good but you never know til you try it, don't worry about if your going to catch something, just go and have fun. There's a lot fo trout in it so you should be in good shape, try throwing some hardware or bait.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yep thats my stomping gounds, had to go to pueblo today for supplies. i havent fished it lately and the water is down maybe 10-12" verticaly so most of my spring time hot spots are dry, i been out mapping exposed structure to be ready for next year. the best bett for trout here any time would be slow trolling spinners ive never been skunked doing this. the stream below the dam is (dont tell anyone) increddible for 10-15" browns and cuttbows but you gotta be right on the dam not down by the parking dont waste your time there but within a couple hundred ft of the face of the dam those fish will eat anything the farther from the dam the harder thay are to catch i like to walk down from the lake. if you park by the dam on the SE and fish for a bit then take a walk down below the dam start fishing right at the dam ( i mean bounce your lure/bait off the face of the dam close!) and then fish down stream maybe 100 yards then fish your way back up to the dam i can usually get 30 or so in that strech with out working it too hard then go back up to the rocks by the dam on that SE side and fish some more rumor has it thats the area most of the smallies come from (i saw 1 about 15" crusing the rocks last week) if you come in on the other side by the boat ramp id head towards the moutains a bit about half the lake and there is a second bathroom all by its self right there, there is a thin point that juts out into the lake kinda cutting off an inlet good hard bottom not muddy and not so rocky you lose lots of tackle.
be carefull driveing down by the water below th high water mark if it aint rocky/gravely forgetit that mud sucks up the biggest and baddest 4X4's every year

let me know when and what your driving ill try to stop by and toss a line for a bit

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
just a quick note here the temp at the lake is 40 degrees and feels much colder it is noon on wensday it is drizzeling and might snow tonight not real windy right now but definately breezy if you dont like the cold some place else might be better

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. Dont have a boat so I think I will try the dam. Can I use worms? We were there about a month ago and had a great time! But ya i do think i can try below the dam. Just wondering, but do i have to walk by all those trees?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yes you can use worms and any other bait just not minows or other live fish

if your fishing by the dam you can kinda billy goat it down close to the dam or drive below the dam and walk up
if your still there in the afternoon ill try to stop by and say hi

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok and if your looking toward the dam, wheres the easiest place to access it(Meaning which side).

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if your facing the dam from the lake the right side is the only side as the other side you cant realy get to as it is private

here is a simple map

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=e1eqso

the heavy light green line is ruffly where the boat launch is

the red line is how i get down to fish the creek below the dam

you can also walk up from cr 220 although the little side road along the creek is closed

best way to get to this part of the lake would be to take cr 241 off hwy 96 just north of town by the rodeo grounds stay to the right/strieght ish when the road turns dirt by the houses/comunity by the lake

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i can hit a rabit in the head at 70 yards with my 22?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Craig N said:
Do you have AIM?
roadkill said:
i can hit a rabit in the head at 70 yards with my 22?
Or does he mean the instant messenger?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i was wondering what that was ;D

nope

1 - 13 of 13 Posts