Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up at the Bellview fish hatchery out of Ft. Collins yesterday during lunch. They were loading up the stocking truck....They said they were headed to Wellington #4 and St. Vrain ponds. The fish they were packin' are just a click above "normal" stockers, probably 12-13".

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
They dropped about 2400 of those into Lon Hagler res. a couple of weeks ago.

Then a few days later they came out and threw in about 300 big bows in the 24 in. range. I caught a couple of those big ones just to take a look at them. They looked old. They were dark in color and deep in the body, many had developed hook jaws. They looked so gross I threw them back. What the heck was that all about?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I think they heard some clown (JK   ;)  ) was trying to catch a fish bigger than his Barbie rod, and figured they'd help the poor guy out.  ;D

Just kidding Walking Eagle, but hey..., nows your chance.   ;) 

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
LOL !

These big trout are adapting to the lake and have scattered a bit now, but when they were first put in, they were almost too easy. They would follow you around the shoreline, expecting to be fed. That's how I caught/released a couple and got a look at them. The first one was a deep red and had such a hook in his jaw that I didn't identify it as a rainbow at first, thought it must be some kind of salmon, but that didn't make sense. The second was also a dark reddish color but with less of a hook. I thought they were pretty ugly, but maybe that's just me. You had to look hard for the rainbow stripe down the sides, it was just barely visible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts